Pool trouble

Sep 9, 2012
Hi, my name is Tracie, I am new to this forum. We recently had our pool start to turn green there was lots of stuff building on the bottom, so I thought we had algae growing. So I went to pool store and had water tested. They told me to shock it good and the alkalinity was off. I added the stuff she told me too no change. Then two days later took sample to different pool place, they said pool needed to be shocked harder so added 4 gallons more of liquid chlorine, algecide, and stuff to lower ph, because it was high. Then no change, we checked filter and found a hole in one of our DE filters. So we cleaned all that out changed filter that had hole, put it all back together. Added fresh DE. Now pool is starting to look clear again! :) but..... When I have my hands in water they get a tingly feeling. And my daughter had a rash on her leg last night where the pool water hit her leg while we were working on it, and my husband had chemical reaction looking rash on his arm after sticking his arm down in the pool. I listed every chemical we put in. I did go heavy on Algecide. We have a 23000 gallon pool, and I put in 20 oz of algecide 30. I thought we had algae growing. Did I mess it up? Do we have a chemical reaction going on in the pool, and if so how do I fix it? Tanks for your time to read and respond! :)

The only way to know for sure what's going on is with a good set of test results and a pool store isn't going to have good results as a rule.

You need to order a good test kit.

In the mean time, do you have a set of results from the pool store that you can post?

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA.

If you can post those that will help.

I have a kit I bought at store by pentair. And I have strips. I did both. Here are the results....

Kit:
Ph was between 7.8 and 8.2
fC did have a option for that
cC was off the charts, was an orange color
Ta 16 drops so 160, I added 2 drops of chlorine neutralizer so don't know if high chlorine level would make that off because Friday at the store the levels were lower.

The strip.

Ph same between 7.8 and 8.4
Chlorine 10
Alkalinity 120
Stabilizer 30-50 but maybe a tad lower.

At store Friday

FC 7.5
TC 7.5
Ph 7.9
Calcium hardness 220
TA 130
Cyanuric Acid (stab). 50

Thanks!

What about the 20 oz of the algecide I added? I didn't seem to feel tingling like before when I checked it just a minute ago to give the results to you. It's still cloudy but looks much better than it did. I'm gonna go vaccumn it again here in a few try to get the DE up off the pool floor.

Thanks!

You can certainly lower your pH but that has nothing to do with tingling or a rash.

The algaecide in that quantity should have nothing to do with "tingling" either

Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and that may help you get started on good pool water chemistry now that your filter is fixed.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I can't stress enough the importance of getting a test kit that can accurately test the parameters we recommend. Your PH is a little high and should be lowered with Muratic acid (prefered) or PH down powder (still works but adds some sulfur). Not knowing your CC number for sure could be an issue, but it hard to tell from the results listed. I would suggest performing an overnight FC loss test to rule out organics, but you 1st have to have a reliable test kit that can measure FC at high levels accurately.

I'd suggest the TF100 (better value imo) from tftestkits.net or the taylor k2006. Both are only usually available from online retailers. The owner of Tftestkits.net (duraleigh) also owns this forum, so you know it's a reputable source :goodjob:

As suggested above..read up in pool school and I hope we can get this sorted out for you shortly. Nothing you mention should cause such a harsh reaction, so we are certainly scratching our heads on this one a bit. What was the active ingredient listed in the algaecide you used? How about the Shock that you used both times?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.