Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: phColorShadeTestAlternative ???

1. Back To Top    #1

phColorShadeTestAlternative ???

I have trouble with the color shade ph test. Know of any other tests available? thanks
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: phColorShadeTestAlternative ???

the color shade test is really the best option.

Are you trying to be too exact? If it is pink, you are high. If it is yellows, you are low. If you are orange, you are good.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

On my kit, red is high(8.2) pinkish is good and orange is low(6.8) lol (taylor).
    Im looking for something similar to the fas-dpd test process, where you count drops till you get clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the same kit. 7.8 and 8.2 are pretty pink. But 7.5 seems much more orange and usually pretty easy to differentiate.

I have never had mine low, but have read that it looks much more yellow.

There is no test that counts drops like the FAS-DPD. But, there is acid and base demand reagents you can use with the pH test to count to change the pH and then you can back out where you are at.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It just seems where ever i view, the shade changes(againt the sky, grass, fence etc.) hey thanks for the quick reply's.

6. Back To Top    #6

View it in bright light against a white background (a little away from the tube so that light still shines through) to get consistent results. Even if you view it with different backgrounds, the color of the comparator should change the same as the color of the sample, but if you are looking just for "absolute" colors, then you need a consistent reference and a white background is best for that. People name colors differently where you can see two variations in this post.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks chem geek!

8. Back To Top    #8

Chem Geek,

Nice post/link to another post.
    I saw JasonLion's post that you referenced, quite a few months back when I 1st joined, it was an oh so very helpful post due to my horrid, cheapo, Chinese made color block at the time. Not Taylor, who has theirs made in the good old US of A. How AWESOME is that??
    Kudos to them!

Jason's is still useful, but yours is better for me, which is almost how I have adapted it in my brain anyway. I think more like the way you wrote them out, than like Jason's.
    But his was still a life saver, yours just refines it and they're both good, like you said, some people think different. So really we do need both.
    You guys should put these in the extended test kit directions sticky, under pH.

Thanks a million!!
    I shall keep this link and pass it on to anyone in doubt. It's a life saver, I'm not color dumb, not at all, just precise.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D