Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To close or not to close

1. Back To Top    #1

To close or not to close

I live in central Texas. This is the first year with a ag pool. By reading here I see a lot of you in the south don't close your pools. My question is how do you take care of them in the winter? We do drop below 20* at night for a few weeks. Most days we're 30-40* durning the day. We are about 150 mi. South of DFW.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: To close or not to close

You simply take care of the pool exactly the same year round. You will consume far less chlorine as the water temp cools.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure about above ground, but my in-ground doesn't close and I'm north of Dallas.

The pump is set to automatically come on when the air temperature drops below 39F.
    I laughto disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′ | Filtration DE 48′ | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33N 97W)

4. Back To Top    #4

Should i use a winter cover? Right now I'm using a solar cover. Someone had mention not to use a solar cover in the winter.

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as you have the ability to run the pump to prevent freeze damage, you should be okay with not closing. Now my mom had an AGP when she lived in Round Rock and she closed for the winter every year. You don't have to though.

6. Back To Top    #6

So, would you guys recommend wrapping the hoses with insulation? I would rather not close. Also would you recommend running the pump at night instead of day?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Twelker
    So, would you guys recommend wrapping the hoses with insulation? I would rather not close. Also would you recommend running the pump at night instead of day?
    I don't think wrapping the pipes would do much...not worth it. If you have a timer for your pump you might set intervals such as 30 min. on every 2 or 3 hours depending on how much below freezing the temp ranges during the day or night.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh my God. I live in Dallas and I would love to not close mine. I guess turning it on during freezing temps would keep it from freezing?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes Glock. Moving water (running pump/filter) prevents freezing.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter