Winterizing Intex Ultra Frame questions

Jun 27, 2012
From all the reading i have done i have not come up with a solution on how to properly winterize my 18'x48" Intex. I've read some people don't drain water and just plug the holes, some drain water below lowest hole. And with covers i know i can't use a conventional since the frame can't support it. I live in Pittsburgh so we can have really nasty winters and then on occasion we have mild winters like last year. If i drain the water to half way and don't use a cover or pillow would that be good enough? Next year i will be draining all the water to fix a few legs and move some pavers so i am not really concerned what kind of condition the water is in, and i also have no trees anywhere near me to worry about leaves or other debris. Would the water freezing cause any damage to the liner or frame since i won't have a pillow? Could i use a pillow with no cover and just anchor it down somehow to give the ice somewhere to expand? My pool is a salt pool, i am assuming that once the temps get into the teens that the water would still freeze. I also have the sand filter, how do i properly winterize that? Is it just as simple as drain the water from it, take the valve into the house and cover the top with a bag?

i have a 18x52 intex ultra frame pool and i am following the closing your above ground pool article in pool school for mine i have the same sand filter as you and mine is hard plumbed but i plumbed it to where i can take it all apart and store it in the heated garage, i went to harbor freight tools and bought one of those little 4 wheel dollies and will set the sand filter on it and roll it into the garage but thats after i drain the water out of it, i'm old.....lol..........Mike

i'm from Ohio ....Howdy Neighbor......lol

What size cover are you using? I was thinking if i got one big enough that fit inside of the pool and still hang over the sides and just let it fill up with water. Unfortunately with the landscaping of my yard and where the filter is, moving a 100 pound sand filter full isn't an option. I might just empty the sand out of it and take the tank inside

If you are not trying to save the water anfd you are going to drain it in the spring , then why not take down the pool for the winter. Some times trying to avoid work ends up being more work.

i thought of covering the sand but once the dog realizes there is digable ground under it the tarp wouldn't stand a chance of survival. And I don't really have a place to store the pool, garage isn't heated.

I store my pool in a clam shell cargo carrier. I say let the dog dig, just rake it next year. Leaving a pool up reduces the lifetime of the pool. The sun will fade and break down the liner. The poles will move around and wear at the junctions and rust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're taking down our rectangle Intex pool this year (several polls have sunk and it's just easier to drain and redo).

Anyway...we bought some of the orange snow fence and t-posts. The snow fence is pretty cheap on eBay.

My hope is that this barrier will keep the dogs away (our pool is in line with the charge from one end of the yard to the other - between the digging and the races we'd lose a lot).

Diane

I live in NJ and this is the second year we've had our 18' x 48" Intex pool. I have a winter cover we purchased from In the Swim. We also have a solar cover which I left under the winter cover. I left two rafts tied together in the center in the pool for a pillow. Our winter cover goes over the side about 12'' to 15'' down the side. I do have to periodically go out through the winter and pull it down in different areas as it pulls up. I saved quite a few windshield washer fluid bottles that I may add water to and hang from the cover with bungy cords to keep the cover down this winter. My brother-in-law does that with his pool but he has a regular agp. We shall see how it works for me. I also have a Intex SWF and a Intex Sand filter. This is the first year I am winterizing the sand filter which is why I am on here tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.