Just drained and refilled My Pool To Reduce CYA

Aug 11, 2012
Fresno, CA
Hi folks. I had an algae problem about a month ago which my old pool service resolved with algaecide. After receiving lots of advice from folks here at TFP, I fired the pool service and been using bleach as my sole source of Chlorine. My pool has been sparkling since. As my CYA was at 100, you all advised me to drain and refill. I did that yesterday and today bringing CYA down to 40.

I tested today with a TF-100:

FC 2.5 (apparently the chlorine level of my tap water)
CC 0
TA 70
CH 160
Ph 8.2

Other than my FC which I know needs to go up to 5 @ CYA 40, what should I adjust? It seems that TA and CH (pool is pebbletech) are okay but I should bring Ph down to 7.2 - 7.4, right? Is there anything else that one needs to do after refilling?

Also how do I test for borates? The instruction card for the TF-100 does not seem to have instructions for that test but I read that it should be 30 ppm?

Thank you for your help.

Dan

Adjust your pH down to around 7.4 or so...do that sooner rather than later.

Borates are an optional item that some folks chose to put in there pool but they are not necessary for good pool water management. Test strips are available for borates shouold you chose to put them in your water but they are not part of the TF-100 kit.

Your other parameters will look about spot on the money once you get your FC in the 3-5 range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.