How much out of level is ok with AGP?

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
My pool was installed less than 3 months ago. I noticed it looked off by the water line so I took a tape measure to it. About half of the pool is 4 to 4-1/4 inches from water to rail (level a bit low due to our water restrictions). The other half ranges from 3 to 6 inches from water to rail (not even sure I found the lowest and highest point but pretty close). I took pics showing the measurements to the pool store, they called installer. He said he'd come look next week and would be willing to take it down and re-level. I told him about water restrictions and he said he'd be willing to do it in the spring. What I'm wondering is should I mess with it? Is it unsafe? And if I do have it done, will the liner shrink over the days between the drain, re-level, and refill? I doubt the installer wants to pay for a new liner. I can't decide what to do. Seeing it does bug me but I'm not sure anyone else even notices it. Most concerned if it's unsafe. I don't want to be nit picking. Pool store is awesome and just gave me a whole new top for the filter (multi-valve housing) because it had a drip. Thanks for your thoughts!

Keep in mind the pool was just put in and we haven't done the landscaping or deck. Thankfully since it seems it all has to be taken down and done over. I'm very concerned about the liner issue. The 6" pic is to the left, the 3" pic is to the right, and directly across it is 4".[attachment=2:1tifjnlr]Pool.JPG[/attachment:1tifjnlr][attachment=1:1tifjnlr]6in.JPG[/attachment:1tifjnlr][attachment=0:1tifjnlr]3in.JPG[/attachment:1tifjnlr]

Attachments

• Pool.JPG
    Pool.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 6in.JPG
    6in.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 3in.JPG
    3in.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 256
The high side was always high. Don't think it's possible that it raised. The section that's low I think sank some. The pool store recommended the installer but he doesn't work for them. That's my concern. He's already said he'll level it. But I bet he'll want to use the same liner. Is that even possible or do I need to insist on a new liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't let him re-use the liner. Just incase. You don't want to have to call him back a year later for a liner issue. I wouldn't feel bad about it either, its not your fault.
The installer did a terrible job. Did the low side sink a little? It shouldn't have. If those pictures represent the installation when he finished, that is just ridiculous. I really can't believe the pictures. I would also be nervous about waiting until spring. If this is an indicator of his quality of work, he may very well be out of business by spring.

There really is zero excuse for that pool to be that far out of level. You could get it way closer than that with a $2 2x4 and a $10 four foot level....never mind the tools an installer should actually be using.

erivette said:
The high side was always high. Don't think it's possible that it raised. The section that's low I think sank some. The pool store recommended the installer but he doesn't work for them. That's my concern. He's already said he'll level it. But I bet he'll want to use the same liner. Is that even possible or do I need to insist on a new liner?

The only things that could make the ground/pool raise is frost or trapped ground water issues. Being in Texas, those possibilities are out.
As far as sinking; Isn't most of Texas pretty hard, dry earth.....red clay or something? Sinking should not be an issue.
I'm in Maine and half of my property is wetlands. I have a very high water table. I had to over excavate in a few areas and replace with compacted gravel. I used concrete pavers under all of the uprights.....This is only our 2nd year with the pool but so far it has had zero movement. My point is that my conditions must be a lot worse than yours and my pool is great......and i'm not an installer. So your pool should be level and stable.

The liner is new, I would think as long as it's done on a warm day and in a short time frame it would be ok. Get it in writing from him that if there's issues he will replace the liner but if no issues then it's all good.

I'm with Mike on this one, while researching used pool move/installation everything I came across said a liner was re-usable for at least a year and maybe two. But I'd get it in writing for a new liner if he screws it up.

Did they check for utilities before they installed the pool on that spot, or did there used to be a large tree in that area? There could be a sewage or water line under the pool that could have a leak and cause the ground to settle under the weight of the pool. As tree roots rot they leave voids that are covered over and look level until the weight of the pool causes the to compact.

No tree there at least the last 20 yrs I've lived here. On 10 acres and all utilities are in front of house and barn. Nothing in that part of back yard. In fact had a pool in same spot 4 yrs ago that was level. The installer really only had to work at levelling the back side where I shifted the pool about 3 ft over. Where the pool used to be the pool is all level. I think the rest he raised rather than digging to the lowest point. Even though he charged $1000. Frustrating.

If the installer raised the low end (filled it) maybe he didn't compact it properly. A fill using the right material and properly compacted will not settle. There are alot of things built on a fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.