Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much out of level is ok with AGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much out of level is ok with AGP?

My pool was installed less than 3 months ago. I noticed it looked off by the water line so I took a tape measure to it. About half of the pool is 4 to 4-1/4 inches from water to rail (level a bit low due to our water restrictions). The other half ranges from 3 to 6 inches from water to rail (not even sure I found the lowest and highest point but pretty close). I took pics showing the measurements to the pool store, they called installer. He said he'd come look next week and would be willing to take it down and re-level. I told him about water restrictions and he said he'd be willing to do it in the spring. What I'm wondering is should I mess with it? Is it unsafe? And if I do have it done, will the liner shrink over the days between the drain, re-level, and refill? I doubt the installer wants to pay for a new liner. I can't decide what to do. Seeing it does bug me but I'm not sure anyone else even notices it. Most concerned if it's unsafe. I don't want to be nit picking. Pool store is awesome and just gave me a whole new top for the filter (multi-valve housing) because it had a drip. Thanks for your thoughts!
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How much out of level is ok with AGP?

That's way too much. An inch is generally considered excessive.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed. That is way out of level for any installer, Nevermind a "pro". 1/2" or less, preferably less. Laser levels are a wonderful tool.

4. Back To Top    #4

What about the liner? Will it survive the process? I don't want to buy a new one already.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know. I would think that would be covered by the installer if an improper installation needs to be corrected.

6. Back To Top    #6

How about some pictures?

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep in mind the pool was just put in and we haven't done the landscaping or deck. Thankfully since it seems it all has to be taken down and done over. I'm very concerned about the liner issue. The 6" pic is to the left, the 3" pic is to the right, and directly across it is 4".[attachment=2:1tifjnlr]Pool.JPG[/attachment:1tifjnlr][attachment=1:1tifjnlr]6in.JPG[/attachment:1tifjnlr][attachment=0:1tifjnlr]3in.JPG[/attachment:1tifjnlr]
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow that is really bad. Was it that unlevel when it was first installed or did it sink? Does a new pool installed by the pool store have a warranty?

9. Back To Top    #9

The high side was always high. Don't think it's possible that it raised. The section that's low I think sank some. The pool store recommended the installer but he doesn't work for them. That's my concern. He's already said he'll level it. But I bet he'll want to use the same liner. Is that even possible or do I need to insist on a new liner?

10. Back To Top    #10

The liner is new, I would think as long as it's done on a warm day and in a short time frame it would be ok. Get it in writing from him that if there's issues he will replace the liner but if no issues then it's all good.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

11. Back To Top    #11

I wouldn't let him re-use the liner. Just incase. You don't want to have to call him back a year later for a liner issue. I wouldn't feel bad about it either, its not your fault.
    The installer did a terrible job. Did the low side sink a little? It shouldn't have. If those pictures represent the installation when he finished, that is just ridiculous. I really can't believe the pictures. I would also be nervous about waiting until spring. If this is an indicator of his quality of work, he may very well be out of business by spring.

There really is zero excuse for that pool to be that far out of level. You could get it way closer than that with a $2 2x4 and a $10 four foot level....never mind the tools an installer should actually be using.
    24' dia. 52" Tall Costa Del Sol Plastic Resin by Trendium Pool Products
    250lb sand filter with 1.5 HP pump
    13,530 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by erivette
    The high side was always high. Don't think it's possible that it raised. The section that's low I think sank some. The pool store recommended the installer but he doesn't work for them. That's my concern. He's already said he'll level it. But I bet he'll want to use the same liner. Is that even possible or do I need to insist on a new liner?
    The only things that could make the ground/pool raise is frost or trapped ground water issues. Being in Texas, those possibilities are out.
    As far as sinking; Isn't most of Texas pretty hard, dry earth.....red clay or something? Sinking should not be an issue.
    I'm in Maine and half of my property is wetlands. I have a very high water table. I had to over excavate in a few areas and replace with compacted gravel. I used concrete pavers under all of the uprights.....This is only our 2nd year with the pool but so far it has had zero movement. My point is that my conditions must be a lot worse than yours and my pool is great......and i'm not an installer. So your pool should be level and stable.
    24' dia. 52" Tall Costa Del Sol Plastic Resin by Trendium Pool Products
    250lb sand filter with 1.5 HP pump
    13,530 gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

The liner is new, I would think as long as it's done on a warm day and in a short time frame it would be ok. Get it in writing from him that if there's issues he will replace the liner but if no issues then it's all good.
    I'm with Mike on this one, while researching used pool move/installation everything I came across said a liner was re-usable for at least a year and maybe two. But I'd get it in writing for a new liner if he screws it up.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I'd say the installer should be on the hook for the replacement if it rips when they fix their shoddy work......
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

15. Back To Top    #15

We are on black soil, very hard. We've dug down 4ft and never even hit wet dirt, let alone water. Obviously frost is not an issue here even in the dead of winter. I'll try to stand firm. Thanks everyone!

16. Back To Top    #16

Did they check for utilities before they installed the pool on that spot, or did there used to be a large tree in that area? There could be a sewage or water line under the pool that could have a leak and cause the ground to settle under the weight of the pool. As tree roots rot they leave voids that are covered over and look level until the weight of the pool causes the to compact.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

No tree there at least the last 20 yrs I've lived here. On 10 acres and all utilities are in front of house and barn. Nothing in that part of back yard. In fact had a pool in same spot 4 yrs ago that was level. The installer really only had to work at levelling the back side where I shifted the pool about 3 ft over. Where the pool used to be the pool is all level. I think the rest he raised rather than digging to the lowest point. Even though he charged $1000. Frustrating.

18. Back To Top    #18

If I have learned one thing here about AGP installs it is that you can not raise anything - always dig it level.

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Was there a contract with the installer?

20. Back To Top    #20

If the installer raised the low end (filled it) maybe he didn't compact it properly. A fill using the right material and properly compacted will not settle. There are alot of things built on a fill.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast