New Pool Owner Just a question.

Sep 5, 2012
My husband decided he would buy one of the Intex pools and set it up without telling me. I am glad he got it because our 2yr old daughter loves pools but I honestly don't want her going in it until we have everything balanced. That being said I borrowed my parents 5-way Test kit after doing some heavy reading here on this site.
Last night I put in 3cups of Bleach, following the instructions on this site, so that my daughter could swim for at lest an hour this AM.
Around 4pm est (3hrs ago) I put in 2.5oz of Pool Shocker and left the pump running. I just went out and tested the water and came back with these results.
Pool Specs
Size- 12' x 30" Easy Set up with blow up ring top and holds about 1,400gls.

FC- 2.4
TC-2.4
PH-6.3
TA-40
Brom-5.2

I plugged these into the Pool Calculator and it is saying to add Borax and Baking Soda to up the pH and TA.
My concern is in the instructions under Beginners Guide to Temporary Pools says to keep adding the Shocker 1oz per 500gal (so 2.5oz for ours) every night plus add Borax to adjust Ph but I have no way to test the level of CYA. How will I know if it has to much Shocker in it or is that what Im testing when I test FC? Also, should I still be trying to up my TA with baking soda or just worry about the PH?

Thank you so much in advanced.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

If you keep track of the amount of "shocker" {I am assuming this is di-chlor, correct?} And knowing the volume of the pool, just assume the CYA is the level as the poolcalculator calculates for you and keep the FC at the appropriate range.

If you use soda ash / washing soda to raise the pH, it will also raise the TA more than the borax will.

Each 2.5oz of dichlor will raise the FC by 7.4ppm and the CYA by 6.7ppm. It will also lower the pH by 0.28 so that is why you are so low.

The brand of "Shocker Plus" is Aqua Chem and the main ing. is Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione, not sure if this is ok to use and is the right thing to be using?

Thank you BTW for getting back so quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.