Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Closing" a pool in Southern California

1. Back To Top    #1

Santa Barbara, CA

"Closing" a pool in Southern California

As the weather gets colder, I'd like to "close" my pool in Southern California. I've certainly noticed the reduced chemical requirements in the winter, but I'd like to run the pump less in the winter as well. Normally I target one full turnover a day during the summer. In the winter in Southern California, how low can I go on filtration? Will 1/4 a turnover a day be enough to circulate the chemicals I do add and to suck up the leaves and debris? I have a suction crawler that is always in place.

Currently I run filtration for ~16 hours at 15GPM if the solar isn't engaged. I'd love to bring that down to 3-4 hours a day, as our electric rates are pretty high.
    31'x15' 19k gallon IG plaster/paint pool, 3 HP Intelliflo VF pump, 400 sq-ft DE Filter, 320 sq-ft Solar Panel, 400k BTU NG Heater (Unused)
    450 Gallon Marquis Epic Spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: "Closing" a pool in Southern California

It takes very little run time to circulation the chemicals, so 3-4 hour is likely plenty. Another option would be to split the run times up so that the pool circulations twice a day.

This may not keep the pool free of dirt and crystal clear, but if you maintain the FC, it will not turn green.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: "Closing" a pool in Southern California

We don't really close here. Chemical usage goes way down when the water cools down below 60. I run my filter about 2 hours a day in the off season, plus whatever it gets when I vacuum or pump the level down before a rainstorm.

pH is critical. Green can be removed easy enough with bleach, but scale is not so easy, and you probably have hard water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!