Teledyne Laars series 2 ESC250N blows when firing

dimbmw

Sep 7, 2012
Hi everyone
I have a weird problem with my Teledyne Laars series 2 ESC250N.
When it turns on daily as scheduled along with the pool pump, it produces a small explosion.
Today even the front door cover was blown away - scary!
Other than that it works fine, ignites and heats etc.
Just the initial start suggests there may be some gas leak and gas is accumulating inside the housing,
and blows during the firing.
Before the gas valve (it is Honeywell VR8304H4230, natural gas ) there is only one joint - where the gas pipe enters the valve. It seems to be sealed good - i tried it with soapy water - no bubbles.
Does anyone you have any experience with this sort of things?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dmitry

Not familiar with that unit, however exploding would imply that gas is accumulating, prior to ignition. Look for clogged burners or clogged burner orifices at the burner tray.

Qwaxalot said:
Not familiar with that unit, however exploding would imply that gas is accumulating, prior to ignition. Look for clogged burners or clogged burner orifices at the burner tray.

Thank you for answering, I might be mistaken - but the clogged gas line/burner could lead to quite the opposite - insufficient gas, and not exploding the gas, right ?

dimbmw said:
Qwaxalot said:

Thank you for answering, I might be mistaken - but the clogged gas line/burner could lead to quite the opposite - insufficient gas, and not exploding the gas, right ?

When the gas valve opens it sends gas to the manifold attached to the burners. If the orifice (at the manifold nearest the pilot) or the burner is clogged, the gas will come out of the next nearest orifice (or burner) and will ignite when sufficient gas builds up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.