Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teledyne Laars series 2 ESC250N blows when firing

1. Back To Top    #1

Teledyne Laars series 2 ESC250N blows when firing

Hi everyone
    I have a weird problem with my Teledyne Laars series 2 ESC250N.
    When it turns on daily as scheduled along with the pool pump, it produces a small explosion.
    Today even the front door cover was blown away - scary!
    Other than that it works fine, ignites and heats etc.
    Just the initial start suggests there may be some gas leak and gas is accumulating inside the housing,
    and blows during the firing.
    Before the gas valve (it is Honeywell VR8304H4230, natural gas ) there is only one joint - where the gas pipe enters the valve. It seems to be sealed good - i tried it with soapy water - no bubbles.
    Does anyone you have any experience with this sort of things?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Dmitry
    7500 gal pool in ground, size 25'x10'x4', SP3400VSP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Teledyne Laars series 2 ESC250N blows when firing

Not familiar with that unit, however exploding would imply that gas is accumulating, prior to ignition. Look for clogged burners or clogged burner orifices at the burner tray.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    Not familiar with that unit, however exploding would imply that gas is accumulating, prior to ignition. Look for clogged burners or clogged burner orifices at the burner tray.

Thank you for answering, I might be mistaken - but the clogged gas line/burner could lead to quite the opposite - insufficient gas, and not exploding the gas, right ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe someone knows this model and can suggest how to take the burners out to clean them? Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dimbmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot

Thank you for answering, I might be mistaken - but the clogged gas line/burner could lead to quite the opposite - insufficient gas, and not exploding the gas, right ?
    When the gas valve opens it sends gas to the manifold attached to the burners. If the orifice (at the manifold nearest the pilot) or the burner is clogged, the gas will come out of the next nearest orifice (or burner) and will ignite when sufficient gas builds up.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

6. Back To Top    #6

Qwaxalot - thank you, good point!

Now i need to figure out how to pull the burner out - it seems this is not an easy thing to do - the gas line prevents from doing that.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Here is a link to a picture of one of your burner tubes. http://www.parts4heating.com/TELEDYNE-L ... 052300.htm
    The near end is fit over the orfice and the far end is at the back of the burner chamber. It is posible that the way these come out is to lift the back end out of the bracket that holds it and slide it towards the back of the chamber to release the front from the orfice.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump