Old pool, new problems.

Aug 29, 2012
I bought a house two years ago with a pool.

It's a gunite pool, 27000 gallon, 1.5HP pump with sand filter and a Kreepy Krauly. Over the last 2 years, I've spent too much money and countless hours keeping it clean.

FINALLY found this page and been reading A LOT.

I bought the Taylor K-2006 kit last week.

The pool is a DEEP, DARK green right now, so murky you cant see the bottom. Possibly have all kind of creatures of the deep living in it.

Even at the MOST clean moment of the pool, it still has a brownish tint to it. I think the gunite is stained.

I think I'm going to drain the pool in a few weeks, acid wash it, and possibly paint it. Is painting a gunite pool recommended?? I want to paint it a light blue color, so the pool always look nice when the water is clear. If so, rubber based or acrylic based?

Also, I will invest in a salt water system as well to avoid adding chlorine weekly. Plus I like the feeling of a salt water pool.

Should I do it all at the same time? Any specific Salt water system anyone would like to recommend?
I'm debating between a Hayward system or a Jandy:
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Aqua-Rite ... 4CLLOJHGL6

http://www.amazon.com/Jandy-AquaPure-Wa ... M92CJ22PQ4

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but I tried to search about pool paint but didn't come up with much.

Welcome to TFP!
Glad you finally found us, and I hope your pool ownership is smoother from here on out.

There's always a risk with draining a pool in areas with high groundwater. You don't say where you're located; that makes a difference! Really, I would just shock it and get the water balanced, then evaluate what, if anything, needs to be done re: acid washing, etc. Paint is never a good investment, it just doesn't last. Once the water is under control, you may be able to remove the brown stains without draining the pool.

Either salt system is good; they all work the same way :) If it were me, I would wait on the salt system until you get the hang of how the chemistry works, but you could do it at the same time.

If you're not already, get scooping and shocking, and feel free to post any other questions that come up.

when i bought my pool a also bought a add on swg my plan was start on the BBB method and get the water balanced and then add the swg, but after a few weeks of the BBB method taught here and seeing how easy it is to take care of my pool i took back the swg and got a refund. It is so easy maintaining my pool with the BBB method sunday through friday it takes 10 minutes each evening after the sun is off the pool i test fc,cc,ph and adjust as needed, then on saturday is my hour day full battery of tests along with cleaning out the 2 debris baskets and brushing and vacuuming,never had to shock the pool and the water is so sparkly and clear i love the BBB method it is so simple........Mike

Well since it's a swamp now, and I already have a pressure washer, I'm going to drain it and pressure wash it real good and see if there are any stains at the bottom. It might be metal stains. Then if necessary, I'll acid wash. If not, then I'll fill her back up and start fresh.

I'll hold off on the salt water system and try the BBB method since I have a fancy new water testing kit now.

I'm located in South Georgia, weather is pretty much always hot and humid. Even in the "winter", it never dip below 30. Last year it barely dip below 50... we swam all the way til December. The pool has a propane heater, but propane is way too expensive to use now. We're adding a couple solar water heater and see if we can extend the swimming season all year.

When we FIRST bought the house, the pool was pretty much a swamp. It costed close to $500 for the local pool place to clear it out and clean it up. Even then, the water is clear, but the bottom still look slight brownish and never really look clean. I dont want to spend another $500 now just to clear it to that state.

The BBB method sounds so simple, I spend about 20-30 minutes a day outside after work watering plants, so adding another 10 minutes to test the water is not a problem.

You're probably asking how the pool became a swamp it is now, it's laziness and neglect. I was just tired of dumping money into it and it never look clean. I'm committing this time though, going to get a screen house up to keep the leaves out as well. We're going to swim next year dang it!

fast1971chevelle said:
when i bought my pool a also bought a add on swg my plan was start on the BBB method and get the water balanced and then add the swg, but after a few weeks of the BBB method taught here and seeing how easy it is to take care of my pool i took back the swg and got a refund. It is so easy maintaining my pool with the BBB method sunday through friday it takes 10 minutes each evening after the sun is off the pool i test fc,cc,ph and adjust as needed, then on saturday is my hour day full battery of tests along with cleaning out the 2 debris baskets and brushing and vacuuming,never had to shock the pool and the water is so sparkly and clear i love the BBB method it is so simple........

That's what I was talking about!

BTW welcome to TFP
I'm happy for you, you have taken the first step to taking ownership of your pool by ordering a good test kit and coming to this site. the people on here are geniouses when it comes to pools, like i said this is my first pool ever and the only thing i knew about pools before this site was the there was water in them and you swam in em, and that was back in late april, and with a good test kit and the knowledge found here my pool is perfect and cold as heck right now but we have enjoyed it all summer withh zero problems and i owe it all to this great site. just one thing before you drain your pool completely i have seen people talk about draining their inground pools and the moderators have said something about floating their pool because of the water depth underground or something like that, but i THINK that only effects inground vinyl lined pools i am sure one of those geniouses will be by shortly to correct me if i'm wrong. if not message duraliegh or bama rambler and ask them if that pertains to your pool, i would hate to see you drain it and something like that happens and i didn't atleast mention it to you..........Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.