Leak? Typical Water level drop?

Sep 7, 2012
I'm sure this has been discussed, I did a search but couldn't find my answer... my apologies.

Anyway, just purchased a house with a pool about 2 weeks ago. Loving it for the most part, but I can definitely see that it's gonna be alot of work, but I know it will be worth it.

It's an older gunite pool, about 25K gallons, and the previous owner informed me after closing he thinks it has a small leak. I found three seperate spots in the above ground plumbing that was leaking water and plugged up all three yesterday by fixing various items. Everything seems to be perfectly dry over there now.

After I plugged all those leaks I marked the pool then put on an automatic pool cover and left it covered for a day. 24 hours later the pool is down 1/8 of an inch. I asked the guy at Leslie pools and he said 1/4 of an inch is typical every day or two, sometimes even with the pool covered. Is this accurate? How much water level drop should I expect in 24 hours with the pool covered? I'm hoping that I fixed the leak but I want to be sure. Should I do a different kind of test? Should I use the bucket test that I've think I've seen on here? Does anyone have a linkt o a thread that describes it in detail?

Thanks in advance for all the help, I can tell this is a very informative board where I'll be coming often.

Welcome to TFP.
Where are you located?

1/8" per day is a pretty small loss.

I'd run the bucket test and see if it shows anything.

Fill a bucket with pool water and sit it on a step in the pool and mark the level in it and in the pool. If the pool loses more water than the bucket you have a leak.

Don't know how big your pool is, but a 1/8th inch a day leak is virtually impossible to detect. By all means try the bucket test. Don't be optimistic about finding it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.