Wohoo - New Pool Construction

oohnoo

Sep 5, 2012
LI, NY
Started this project in early summer and finally got my variance from the town last evening, should have the permit early next week. Once we get that we can schedule for the pool contractor to start digging which he said he can do right away. Been a long journey and we're excited to start the process. One of the things we were hemming and hawing on is the pool depth, whether to go with a traditional deep end or a sports pool. I wanted the deep end pool and my wife wanted a shallow one, main reason was she doesn't know how to swim. But we're determined that she's going to learn and put her fears behind. This will be our first pool and is something we always wanted. We also have 2 college age boys and they're excited as well.

So here's a list of all I'm going to get:
The pool itself is going to be a Pacific Pool w/ Graphex Polymer Walls - 18' x 34' w/2ft radius corners w/42" shallow end and 8ft deep end (no diving board).
8ft Roman Steps w/2 Jacuzzi jets
2 automatic wall skimmers and 2 returns
Pool Pilot Digital SW system RC-35
Hayward DE Filter DE4820
Hayward EcoStar 2-speed pump
AquaCal Heat Pump SQ120
LED Light
Polaris 360
Solar cover
Also on the want list is a good secure winter cover.
And about 1800sq.ft of Cambridge pavers (cost just about as much as the pool)

Wish list
Tiki Bar
Outdoor Kitchen.

Also want to say what a great find it was discovering this site. This will be our first pool so I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions. Unfortunately buy the time the pool is finished it'll be time to close it up. But sooo looking forward to next year. Any pointers or tips will be greatly appreciated.

I like the call on the 8ft deepend. One thing I wish I had added during construction was a dedicated suction port for a cleaner. The cost increase would have been negligible in the grand scheme and would have saved me the hassle of futzin with the skimmer when I need to hook up the vac. I would ask for wide-mouth skimmers, also.

Actually it does come with a dedicated port for the vac. I'll have to inquire about the wide mouth skimmers. Where should they be located? I was thinking to have both of them on the far 8ft wall on the deep end as that's the way the wind always blows.

mx702 said:
I like the call on the 8ft deepend. One thing I wish I had added during construction was a dedicated suction port for a cleaner. The cost increase would have been negligible in the grand scheme and would have saved me the hassle of futzin with the skimmer when I need to hook up the vac. I would ask for wide-mouth skimmers, also.

oohnoo said:
... I'll have to inquire about the wide mouth skimmers. Where should they be located? ...

I asked my builder if there was any reason the skimmer was placed where it was (it just happened to be about the closest point to the equipment) - he said it was based on the prevailing winds (here the prevailing winds are S/W and the skimmer is in the N/E corner).

I asked my builder and he said he couldn't fit the wide mouth skimmers cause I'm going with 2ft radius.
Anyhow all looks good as we're going to start digging this FRIDAY!
Actually the paver guy is going to start digging up the old patio probably Wednesday/Thursday. It's finally all coming together, can't wait.

bigdav160 said:
Congrat!

That's going to be a big pool for a single LED. You might want to budget for another one.

I agree with this. My pool is only 18x36, and we went with LEDs in each end of the pool, and very glad we did. It is surprising how dark one end can be if you cover the light on that end ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Talked to my PB and he said that he couldn't put the two lights on the short far wall cause of the two skimmers but suggested putting them on the long wall shinning away from the house, which he said would give it a better look and really brighten up the pool.
They're going to start digging tomorrow, can't wait.

Congrats, I'm excited for you. We began our dig last Friday and we are currently at the plumbing stage. If you have dogs, be prepared to do alot of walking. One suggestion I got from alot of people is to measure the pool before the gunite is shot. It should be 3" (?I think) deeper than how deep you are requesting and remember there is a tile area below the coping with no water so include that in the measurement also. A friend of mine had his pool shot and it was almost 1/2 foot shorter than expected in the deep end and they are not all that happy about it. Be sure to keep us updated and post lots of pics of the progress :)

Sounds exciting!!! My only suggestion if possible, would be a bottom drain. I find the constant available volume provides a reliable prime for the pump which is helpfull for hooking up the vacuum, draining for winter closing, backwashing, and getting started in the spring.

good luck

JB :monkey:

Yes, my PB actually already had 2 bottom drains planned. I think he's doing a great job with the little details. They just finished removing all the existing concrete patio, enough to fill a 20 yard dumpster. I don't have a big yard so it's really going to be all pool and the rest pavers with borders for plantings.
Here's some pics of it before they start digging tomorrow. Going to be installing a new second shed that was demo'd where the canopy is which will go back on the patio in front of the sliding doors once the pavers are installed. Ultimate plan is to install a hip roof with the same pitch as the house. Area next to the new shed will have a curved sitting wall with a fire pit.

PhotoSep12111254AM.jpg

PhotoSep1212245PM.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

monkeywrench said:
Sounds exciting!!! My only suggestion if possible, would be a bottom drain. I find the constant available volume provides a reliable prime for the pump which is helpfull for hooking up the vacuum, draining for winter closing, backwashing, and getting started in the spring.

good luck

JB :monkey:

So digging started yesterday. First thing they hit was the old abandoned cesspool. The excavator was good about it as they only charged me an extra $200 to remove it and haul away the concrete. He had to do a lot of finessing as my yard is small and the only path in was near the deep in so he had to work around that. But then more good news was when they hit water at about the 5'8" depth. Reminded me so much of the show Alaska God Rush where Pop was digging and the excavator was teetering on the edge. They finished what they could till a de-watering system is installed and setup. Once they's in place they'll start pumping the water out till it's low enough where they can finish the bottom. Luckily I was already getting a semi-hard bottom. My PB also said he'll leave it in place so if we even have to change the liner in the future we won't have to have it installed again.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

2012-09-15100755.jpg

Starting to look like a pool now. Yesterday they finished installing all the walls, the cement collar and all the piping for the de-water system. PB said they'll be here Thursday to finish the de-watering system and pump out all the water, once that's complete they can finish digging the deep end, add the hard bottom, install the liner and then they can fill the pool. Wohooo. BUT......it's we're supposed to get heavy rains here today so I'm afraid what's it going to look like, one big mud hole I'm guessing.

2012-09-17183108.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.