Old salt cell union nut cracked

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
I've got an old RP40HD unit that has two salt cells. One of the cells was dead when I bought the equipment, the other has always been enough to keep up so I never worried about it. The other day I noticed a small drip from the dead cell so I went to tighten it and realized the nut was cracked. The way it is plumbed, I can't cut the union off and cap it because the union comes right out of an elbow which comes right out of a T. No pipe to glue a cap to. Some I'm kinda lost on what to do. Ive had the cell for 3 summers now and it was used when I got it so I don't know how much life it has left anyways.
Unless there is some clever solution, what kind of system is popular right now?

In this pic, it is the upper cell that has the cracked union. It appears that there may be just enough pipe out of the t, before the elbow, to cap. But that means that the good cell will now see twice the flow compared to what it is used to seeing. I wonder if this will be the death of it?

Attachments

• Digging hole for Nathan\'s pool 009.jpg
    Digging hole for Nathan\'s pool 009.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 129
That is an interesting configuration for sure. I'm no expert, so this is just my assumption. My understanding is that hours of operation are the main factor in cell life, therefore I don't think the increased flow will impact it terribly. It probably already took more flow being the lower of the 2 cells anyway.

Cut off the union at the elbow and then try something like this:

[youtube:14ggsn7u]JCMQ6OA84OA[/youtube:14ggsn7u]

If you can find someone with this unique tool it would be another option:

[youtube:14ggsn7u]DS3ygCWJlPA[/youtube:14ggsn7u]

I had the same situation with one of the screw on nuts on the cell of my Pool Pilot Soft Touch generator.
Fortunately, I discovered the great product Plast-Aid years ago and found it indispensable to both my pool plumbing as well as my aquarium collection. Can be used in wet or dry situations and hardens in minutes.

Here's the website:
http://www.plast-aid.com/

Regards,
-Gary

if you can't restore the ring then heat gun and pliers are your best friends

something like this should do the job:

heat_gun.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.