Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Geez Louise 2

1. Back To Top    #1

Geez Louise 2

I put a new seal and plate on the pump.

When I hand tightened the impeller onto the shaft (one last good tight turn) it became clear that when I hand turn the impeller I get resistance and some rubbing.

Did I overtigthen? Do I back it off?
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Geez Louise 2

It won't do you any good to "back it off". If you do, the first time you start the pump it'll just screw itself back tight. You didn't leave a shim out did you? There should be a little resistance from the seal but no rubbing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So there is never a need for porcelain to wear/rub down a little at first?
    New AO Smith pump with a new seal plate.
    The shaft has a rubber washer (actually pretty thick). Hope the heck that wasn't packing material!
    Tapped the shaft seal into the seal plate with a PVC pipe of same size (I tapped metal flange all the way down flush with the plastic of the plate --> meaning seated it deeply- I seemed to have to tap it more than people on youtube videos).
    Put other porcelain shaft seal into impeller -seems flush.
    When I firmly hand tighten I imagine the noise to be this porcelain rubbing.
    SHIM-- another spacer?
    My total:
    rubber washer at base of shaft against motor body
    seal plate with seated shaft seal
    impeller screwed on to shaft with shaft seal in back of impeller
    I can turn impeller nearly as freely when it is making this rubbing noise, but not as freely as when I back off the tightening a little.

Again, if I could have disassembled the pump to begin with I could have retraced the parts..arrghh
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

Last question on this -- The rubber washer at base of the motor's shaft -- it is meant to have the seal plate and its shaft seal go up against it yes?
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob