Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand vs Foam pool set up question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand vs Foam pool set up question

We are FINALLY getting ready to install our 25.5x13 Splash pool. We are going to excavate 1-2 feet of soil to get the height at the desired place & get a level ground. We were thinking of adding sand on top of the soil but have seen posts about using foam board. Is this done instead of sand? We will be putting down a tarp as recommended by the manufacturer. Just some background in case you aren't familiar with Splash, they are soft sided pools that don't require the berm around the bottom. In case it affects your answers, we live in Central Iowa & will leave it up year round with a deck built fully around it so visual isn't a concern.

We're digging into Saturday so I need to firm up my plans quickly.
    13x25.5 Splash Titan3 AGP
    9800 Gallons Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand vs Foam pool set up question

Congrats on your new pool. The foam bottom is used instead of sand. We didn't know foam was an option when our pool was installed, I wish I had done more research. Now, 5 winters later, we can feel small rocks underneath our pool pushing on the liner. It wasn't like that the first few years. We can only assume it was caused by the ground freezing and pushing them to the top? When our liner needs replaced we will definitely install foam. If I were you I'd go with it now.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm planning on going with 1" extruded styrofoam boards on a level soil that is cut down to level & tamped flat with a machine. I'm wondering if a tarp does any good at this point. I'm so so so excited!
    13x25.5 Splash Titan3 AGP
    9800 Gallons Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, Now after 5 years how is the foam board install? Thanks
    15K Gal coleman 26 Round Intex swg Hayward S210T93S 1 1/2 hp matrix pump 21 inch sand filter Taylor k2006