Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pulling the plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Pulling the plug

With the nights getting so cool and not having a heater that works we are going to shut the pool down for the year, the little woman is crying as I type. But we have things to do with the pool so now is a good time. When we installed it 2 seasons ago I just put down some sand and it was ok but the bottom developed humps and holes so we are going to put a cement slab under it this fall. Some questions, the salt water, is it bad for the lawn? I can pump it out to the woods behind the pool but with it being so dry I thought we could put some on the grass, will it do harm? I also plan to put the pool back up after the cement cures and add some water back to get it ready for spring but without chemicals, is that a bad idea or should I wait till spring? I won't have the pump and swg hooked up because of freeze up so I have no way to pump water to circulate the chemicals so I am unsure of what to do, help.
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pulling the plug

If you're going to drain it, I'd leave it drained. Then start over fresh in the spring. Otherwise I'm sure you'll have an algae outbreak with no chemicals in it all winter.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

3. Back To Top    #3

Anyone know if the water will hurt the lawn if it is drained onto the grass in the yard?
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are some plants that are sensitive to salt at that level but grass isn't usually one of them. Several people use the drained water to water the lawn.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit