Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A&A Pop Up Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

A&A Pop Up Problem

I have 1 pop up when the head is in, the gear set stops at that location. When I remove the head the gear set moves and all is ok. I have replaced the gear set - no change. New heads still stops. This is an A&A top flow 5 port with balls. I have removed other heads and blew out small scale chunks..not sure whats left. I have moved the balls around and still stops at same spot..There is no valve or flow restricter on the top flow port. All powered by just pool filter motor..worked fine before for 4 years..

Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A&A Pop Up Problem

Sounds like a tooth missing in that one spot on the gears and when the head is in it causes enough resistance to stop the gears. Have you inspected all the gears?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

replaced the whole set

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you just replace the gear set or the balls as well? I'm not that familiar with the details of how the ball-type valves work, since they all have the flip-type valves now.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

replaced all but balls, cant get em anymore but the cam on the gear set is new as well. would have to retro the new valves with glue..that concerns me a bit