Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater tripping GFCI breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater tripping GFCI breaker

So...New electrical work has been finished for a week now. About once a day the GFCI breaker was tripping for the heater circuit. The heater is a Hayward heat pump on a dedicated 240 volt 20 amp circuit. I called pool builder to ask them about it and they said to call the electrician. Called electrician and he came out and replaced the GFCI circuit with a non-GFCI breaker. It's been running a few days now and hasn't tripped the breaker. Is it safe to run heater on a non-GFCI protected circuit?
    28' X 52" Sharkline Escalade
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5hp
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater tripping GFCI breaker

What does the electrician say about it? I would think you should have a GFCI circuit for it but you need to consult with the codes and the electrician. Did he say why he swapped it out for a non GFCI?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

He said sometimes the GFCI breakers are too sensitive for something that has a larger startup load.

I thought I read somewhere that a GFCI is not required if the heater is hard wired. True??

28' X 52" Sharkline Escalade
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5hp
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

There is likely a ground fault that should be addressed. Whether it's required is determined by your local code/electrical inspector, not something you may have read somewhere In general I would think a GFCI is needed on equipment that touches pool water, but then again, I'm not an electrician so can't tell you for sure.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by walt7474
    He said sometimes the GFCI breakers are too sensitive for something that has a larger startup load.
    You need a better electrician. GFCI's do not fault on over current. As was mentioned there is a current leak somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by walt7474
    I thought I read somewhere that a GFCI is not required if the heater is hard wired. True??
    Ask your inspector who approved the instalation. I do not have my code book here at home to check.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not familiar with the Hayward heat pumps but on Pentair units they require a 50 amp breaker the load at startup is around 42 to 45 amps then drops off to 35 amps for the compressor. Verify that a 20 amp breaker is large enough to handle the startup load.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics