Cutting solar cover into strips support thread!

Pauls234

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, I've finally gotten a solar cover and while it isn't all that difficult to handle, I could see how cutting into strips would make it much easier. I believe I've read of others doing this... is there any downside? Do the strips stay pretty well in place, i.e. they do not tend to overlap and leave large sections uncovered?

I'm thinking of doing it in three sections along the seems that already exist, does this sound like the best way?

I did something that is a variant of the SolarRoller. I cut the cover in half but I attached each half to 1.5" ABS pipe (ABS floats). So now I just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up on itself and I can pull it out fairly easily. The Solar Roller works fairly well too except it uses aluminum pipe which corrodes quickly in the salt water.

I did something that is a variant of the SolarRoller. I cut the cover in half but I attached each half to 1.5" ABS pipe (ABS floats). So now I just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up on itself and I can pull it out fairly easily. The Solar Roller works fairly well too except it uses aluminum pipe which corrodes quickly in the salt water.

I did something similiar. I used 1" PVC pipe filled it with polyureathane foam. Works great!

I used 1" PVC pipe filled it with polyureathane foam.

I was thinking of PVC capped at both ends, but now thinking PVC with a noodle in it. Or possibly ABS, have to look at what I have on hand and cost of parts that I don't have.

ABS is the lightest and will float so you don't need to cap it or fill it with foam. Also, it will drain easier without caps and foam.

Thanks, good ideas here. The pool has a deck around maybe 20% of it so a solar reel isn't a good option unfortunately given that I do not want it to cut into the swimming area. The ABS pipe sounds good, do you simply drop the pipe in the water and start turning? I am thinking of building a hook system off the back of deck (out of site) to put the cover in when not in use and I think this would facilitate that.

There is a picture of my set up in this thread in case that might help:
would-like-a-modest-increase-in-water-temp-t51695.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.