Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting solar cover into strips support thread!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting solar cover into strips support thread!

So, I've finally gotten a solar cover and while it isn't all that difficult to handle, I could see how cutting into strips would make it much easier. I believe I've read of others doing this... is there any downside? Do the strips stay pretty well in place, i.e. they do not tend to overlap and leave large sections uncovered?

I'm thinking of doing it in three sections along the seems that already exist, does this sound like the best way?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting solar cover into strips support thread!

Pauls,

Here's a thread that might help. http://www.troublefreepool.com/cutti...ns-t44453.html

And this offsite link has lots of good pictures http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/Solarcover/

I plan to do it once I get a solar cover.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought about that but that was far too much of a pain to remove and replace so I just got a solar reel. Simple and VERY effective. Rolls on, rolls off in seconds.
    I found a nice solar cover reel on Craigslist for $60.00.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

4. Back To Top    #4

I did something that is a variant of the SolarRoller. I cut the cover in half but I attached each half to 1.5" ABS pipe (ABS floats). So now I just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up on itself and I can pull it out fairly easily. The Solar Roller works fairly well too except it uses aluminum pipe which corrodes quickly in the salt water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I did something that is a variant of the SolarRoller. I cut the cover in half but I attached each half to 1.5" ABS pipe (ABS floats). So now I just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up on itself and I can pull it out fairly easily. The Solar Roller works fairly well too except it uses aluminum pipe which corrodes quickly in the salt water.
    I did something similiar. I used 1" PVC pipe filled it with polyureathane foam. Works great!
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I used 1" PVC pipe filled it with polyureathane foam.
    I was thinking of PVC capped at both ends, but now thinking PVC with a noodle in it. Or possibly ABS, have to look at what I have on hand and cost of parts that I don't have.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

ABS is the lightest and will float so you don't need to cap it or fill it with foam. Also, it will drain easier without caps and foam.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, good ideas here. The pool has a deck around maybe 20% of it so a solar reel isn't a good option unfortunately given that I do not want it to cut into the swimming area. The ABS pipe sounds good, do you simply drop the pipe in the water and start turning? I am thinking of building a hook system off the back of deck (out of site) to put the cover in when not in use and I think this would facilitate that.

There is a picture of my set up in this thread in case that might help:
    would-like-a-modest-increase-in-water-temp-t51695.html
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to attach the cover to the pipe. I use the same clips that the solar roller uses and you can buy them separately. I drill a small hole in the pipe with a notch and use the plastic clips shown here:

http://solarfactory.com/parts.html?page ... gory_id=10
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

I've done the same thing with PVC pipe and I tired of it very quickly. I cut it up in thirds. My wife, inlaws, babysitter and kids never got the hang of it. I went to a reel and my 5 year old can now cover and uncover the pool.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.