Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loud Squeal From Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Loud Squeal From Pump

If I shut the pump off for a while, like overnight, or 10 hours during the day, when I turn it back on I get a loud squeal that lasts from 45 minutes to an hour or so. The water seems to be pumping OK, and the pump pressure is good and in the normal range. It seems to me that once the pump gets hot that it quits.

Is it the pump motor itself that's going bad, or do you think it might be in the pump itself? I can't isolate the noise to either one.

Also, I might have a small leak somewhere in the pump/motor area as the pad under the pump/motor is always very damp. I can't find any visible droplets though.

Any ideas?
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loud Squeal From Pump

If there is water under the pump it can mean a leak in the pump or strainer drain valve(s) or the seal has gone bad. If the seal is bad and allowing water to get to the motor bearings it will ruin the bearings and the pump will start making a loud noise when it runs. It it runs long enough with bad bearings it will eventually lock up and not run at all.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

3. Back To Top    #3

If the bearings are in the early stage of failure, they can quiet down after they warm up. I agree, probably a combination of bad shaft seal and bad bearings.

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

That's probably it. I'm just going to keep the pump running until I close the pool for the year, and then pull the pump off. I watched a couple of youtube videos on how to change the ceramic seal. It doesn't look too hard. Of course, with my talent, it will most likely end in disaster. The other night I was attempting to superglue the nose back on a pool torpedo and managed to get it all over 3 fingers.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

5. Back To Top    #5

Shaft seal is pretty easy. Bearings are a little more work, but doable. You can buy them cheap from Grainger.

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you ignore a shaft seal leak, you will, in fact, destroy the motor bearings, and possibly the whole motor (although, in your case, it sounds as if the bearings are already failing).
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!