Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: long time BBBers please step in-pretty please

1. Back To Top    #1

long time BBBers please step in-pretty please

THANKS! I have a question for you. How often do you vacuum your pools? Why do you vacuum them?

A little back info. about the question-You can see from my signature that we are new to this pool. I have been doing BBB from the very first drop of water in the pool. Every thing is going GREAT! I can/do pass the OCLT when ever I test for it (did it last night in face). BUT every day I see some brown/gray stuff on the bottom of the pool. Some days are more than others. It is never much but it is there. I really think it is dead algae as it is not grainy and is very easy to vacuum up.

Test results are from PM test after adding the evening chlorine

FC 7 (goes down to 4.5 during the day-full sun 10 hrs.)
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CH? Vinyl pool so did not test
    CYA 35
    PH 7.4

We have little leaves/debris in the pool most days. Pump runs 10 hrs day.

So is my pool normal with having some "dead algae" every day?

Thank you SO much for reading this!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: long time BBBers please step in-pretty please

I have a cleaner in the pool that is constantly on whenever the pump runs. The skimmers get the stuff on the surface and the cleaner gets what falls to the bottom.

It is not normal to have dead algae present in the pool. Dead algae means that you have living algae to begin with. You may need to shock your pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

You shouldn't have dead algae in your pool at anytime unless you are in the process of killing it off. If you think that's what it might be... do an overnight test and see if you maintain your chlorine level.. you should if there isn't any biological activity going on.

How clear is your water?

Sometimes it's normal to have some pollen and/or dust that falls to the bottom. I have some of that in the spring and fall that can be a bother.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Try raising the CYA level a little and keep the FC up. It is is a tiny algae bloom, that ought to fix it.

Also look on the window sills, the cars, and the patio furniture. Whatever is on them will be in your pool. It could just be dust.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I bet what you're seeing is not algae at all, but dust. I get tons of it in my pool and could vacuum every day because of it, but I usually vacuum about every other day. It settles in the irregularities in the bottom of the pool.

When we first got our pool it worried me a lot, but after running many OCLT's (and passing them all) I figured out that it was dust and it doesn't bother me anymore. Well, not like it did to begin with. I still hate it!

Given your location and the amount of sun you get, I'd suggest raising your CYA up to about 50 ppm. I usually run mine between 50 & 60 and lose about 2 ppm per day FC. Since you're already running your FC at 7 ppm you won't even have to change the target.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I vacuum nearly every day. My pool is surrounded by trees and I get a lot of tree dirt. My dog also swims every day and carries in dirt on his paws. I keep my pump running 24/7 so I almost never have to skim, but I do have to vacuum regularly.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I have never vacuumed. I don't even have one. Polaris does a pretty good job. I just brush the pool once in a while.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Kim,

I have the same thing and as others have suggested, I would bet it is just dirt/dust that settles into the dimples at the bottom of the pool. I could probably vacuum it every day, though I only actually do it about once a week. This is one of the downsides of being a BBBer, the crystal clear water means that you notice every little dirt pocket that gathers!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

9. Back To Top    #9

I posted about this same sort of thing in another thread. I was getting "dust" on the bottom of my pool in any of the little depressions in the liner.

I loose about 1.0 to 1.5 PPM of CL per day. OCLT has been rock steady for months. Daily CL loss has been consistent for months, but I had to vaccum every other day or else this "dust' collected. I was of the opinion that it was pollen or some other sort of dirt. (my CYA is at 40 and my CL does not drop below 4.5, CC is always 0). The general consensus on that thread was it was NOT dirt but sounded like mustard algae that was being kept just in check.

Now, one experiment does not proove anything one way or another, bur I went on a 5 day vacation. Before I left, I ran the pool up to mustard shock levels, and threw in a puck in a floater (which I took out when I got home). I get enough rain that the minimal amount of CYA added by the puck is offset.

Anyway, it could be due to changing weather, prevailing winds, change of season, or heck even solar flares for all I know, but the mystery "dust" is now a lot less, as in I can vaccum once or twice a week.

Was it algae? Who knows. Was it the mustard shock level that did the trick? Maybe Or maybe it was just dust and the dust causing enviromental factor changed. This is my first season with this pool, so if I get it again next year, I will try mustard shocking earlier in the season and see what the effect is.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

10. Back To Top    #10

I think it depends on where you live. I live down the street from a stable, so my pool is constantly collecting dust.

33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

THANKS for everyone!

Step one-raise the CYA (whimper due to being SO worried about it getting too high like last pool that got ruined from it)
    Step two-do the shock process just in case

Step three-look around and see if there is anything that could be getting in pool

Again thanks!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats
    THANKS for everyone!

Step one-raise the CYA (whimper due to being SO worried about it getting too high like last pool that got ruined from it)
    Step two-do the shock process just in case

Step three-look around and see if there is anything that could be getting in pool

Again thanks!

Kim
    Shock Process is easier at the lower CYA. If you're going to go full out with it, shock first, then raise CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Got ya! Will switch one and two around!

In fact already have due to having to buy the CYA still and have already been shocking.

THANKS!
    Kim