Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Standard first tests for unknown pool history?

1. Back To Top    #1

Standard first tests for unknown pool history?

If I am going to maintain another pool that I don't know the history of or what's been put into it, what first tests
    should I do to start out with? Just basic tests or more?

Thanks
    Mike
    11,000 gal., Cartridge filter, IG SWG, pebbletec, pentair 2hp, 150gpm, sf 1.1

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Standard first tests for unknown pool history?

Test everything: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH and CYA ... otherwise you have no idea what you are starting with.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Would you also include tests for Potassium monopersulfate, borax, copper etc.?

Thanks
    Mike

4. Back To Top    #4

I suppose it would not hurt if you have the tests available ...

I guess I was coming at this like a residential owner, maybe you are thinking more of a business venture where it might be worthwhile to cover everything so that problems do not develop unexpectedly (like metal staining starting, etc)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, just friends pools for now. I think I've maintained my saltwater pool pretty well for the past 4 years. Managed to keep the 2003 Autopilot control working even though the early ones have issues, bad capacitors, running hot etc. I don't have a cage so it is a little more maintenance and testing.
    But yes, If I am going to look after other pools I don't want to overlook something that would cause problems down the road.
    Guess that comes from being a long time mechanic.

Mike

6. Back To Top    #6

I would test for borates, copper, iron and salt besides the normal tests. Just to cover the bases. I wouldn't worry about the MPS test unless you have reasong to believe (i.e. MPS container) they've been using it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If the water source is different than yours, I'd check the fill water as well just to have a reference point.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320