Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to add salt.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Need to add salt.

We have had a lot of rain here in West Alabama. Did my full testing and my salt reading is 2600ppm, with a goal of 3000. According to Pool Calculator, I need to add 54 pounds of salt. Couple of questions. 1. I know I need to add salt specifically for pools, I read somewhere it was ok to use the same salt that is used in water softening systems. Is that correct? 2. Do I just dump the salt in the pool?

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 120
    CYA 70
    Salt 2600
    West Alabama -18x36 Grecian Sport, IG Vinyl, 3.5 - 5.5 - 3.5. ~16000 gal
    SWG. T-100 Test Kit. Taylor Salt Water Test Kit, Taylor Speedstir.
    Pentair SD-80, Pentair Superflow 1HP, PentairIntellichlor, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Need to add salt.

I use the Solar Salt from the hardware stores ... about 60% of the cost of the "pool" salt. The pool salt is just ground up a little more so it dissolves faster. The solar salt still dissolves in a matter of minutes. Just dump it in and brush it around.

You do not want any salt that has any additives (rust inhibitors, etc).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Same here, the Diamond Solar Salt from the hardware store. Super cheap.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Southern NH

I've used pool salt from Walmart and water softener salt (the one that is only bag?). Salt is salt, right?
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

5. Back To Top    #5

Blue bag almost anywhere you go... watch the amounts.. sometimes the sizes of the bags vary a bit. I just scatter it around the pool and it dissolves pretty quickly with the pump running.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

6. Back To Top    #6

Long Beach, CA

When ever you add salt to the pool make sure the SWG is turned off for a day. You don't want the cell get exposed to a high amount of salt at any time. Just add bleach for a day while the SWG is off.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process