So I ran into the guy who used to sell me pool supplies

Koufax

Jun 6, 2012
Boxford MA
I discovered this website this year and have been keeping my pool in balance using BBB and muriatic acid. I had one algae invasion this year that required the use of Yellow Out -- it happens every year.

My local pool guy sold his little store near my house a couple of years ago. He and his wife own a much larger pool store about 15 miles away. I stopped in last weekend looking for a patch kit for my pool cover. He asked me how I was getting along with the new owner of the store he sold. I told him that I had deserted him as a customer because I was now using the BBB method. He looked at me like I was crazy.

He mentioned two issues that he thought would cause me trouble. First, he said that store-bought bleach would add salt to my water. He didn't say what problem that would cause, but he sounded worried. Second, he said that my TDS count would go up. Again, he did not say why that was bad or what might be done about it.

Any thoughts? Is this guy just banging his own drum or is there something superior about pool supply chemicals?

He is completely correct on both counts! :shock: Of course, the chlorine he sells does exactly the same thing! Funny that! His most likely also adds other stuff that is bad for your pool in the wrong quantities.

Drinking water will cause your dihydrogen monoxide levels to increase.

True statement, means absolutely nothing, but scares people who don't know what it is. Same as above.

Of course if having salt in your pool were a problem, we wouldn't have salt pools. :)

Koufax said:
Yellow Out may not be necessary but is sure is effective.

You might find this an interesting read...I'm glad it has worked for you in the past, but when all does not go as planned can cause more problems than you think...yellow out or green to clean is one of the same. Unless you have high CYA, you are better off following the shock process in pool school.

green-to-clean-t29770.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.