Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So I ran into the guy who used to sell me pool supplies

1. Back To Top    #1

So I ran into the guy who used to sell me pool supplies

I discovered this website this year and have been keeping my pool in balance using BBB and muriatic acid. I had one algae invasion this year that required the use of Yellow Out -- it happens every year.

My local pool guy sold his little store near my house a couple of years ago. He and his wife own a much larger pool store about 15 miles away. I stopped in last weekend looking for a patch kit for my pool cover. He asked me how I was getting along with the new owner of the store he sold. I told him that I had deserted him as a customer because I was now using the BBB method. He looked at me like I was crazy.

He mentioned two issues that he thought would cause me trouble. First, he said that store-bought bleach would add salt to my water. He didn't say what problem that would cause, but he sounded worried. Second, he said that my TDS count would go up. Again, he did not say why that was bad or what might be done about it.

Any thoughts? Is this guy just banging his own drum or is there something superior about pool supply chemicals?
    30,000 gallons DE filter plaster 2HP pump built 2002

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So I ran into the guy who used to sell me pool supplies

Welcome to TFP!
    He's just reciting a line he's heard. Any form of chlorine adds salt to the pool, which isn't a problem. TDS is a non-issue!

Oh, and I know you didn't ask, but Yellow Out isn't ever necessary...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

He is completely correct on both counts! Of course, the chlorine he sells does exactly the same thing! Funny that! His most likely also adds other stuff that is bad for your pool in the wrong quantities.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yellow Out may not be necessary but is sure is effective. As for stuff he sells that I clearly don't need, number 1 is the algae inhibitor, which did nothing as far as I can tell.
    30,000 gallons DE filter plaster 2HP pump built 2002

5. Back To Top    #5

Drinking water will cause your dihydrogen monoxide levels to increase.

True statement, means absolutely nothing, but scares people who don't know what it is. Same as above.

Of course if having salt in your pool were a problem, we wouldn't have salt pools.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Koufax
    Yellow Out may not be necessary but is sure is effective.
    You might find this an interesting read...I'm glad it has worked for you in the past, but when all does not go as planned can cause more problems than you think...yellow out or green to clean is one of the same. Unless you have high CYA, you are better off following the shock process in pool school.

green-to-clean-t29770.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator