Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Schocking - But Pool is Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Schocking - But Pool is Leaking

I started the shocking process on Monday. It was just after a pool party. Here are my numbers.

9/3
    12:00pm
    FC: 15.5
    CC: 1
    Added enough bleach to raise me to 24FC

7:36pm
    FC: 24.5
    CC .5

9/4
    5am
    FC: 23
    CC: .5
    Added bleach to maintain me at 24FC

8pm
    FC: 15
    Added bleach to raise to 24FC

10pm
    FC: 25 (oops. must have added a smige too much)

9/5
    6am
    FC: 23
    CC:.5

My question is: I noticed on Monday there was some water pooling on the backside of our pool. Thought it may be residual from all the splash over during the party. On Tuesday the puddles have gotten worse and I have been loosing an inch(if not more) of water a day. I have had to patch holes in this area of the pool so I recognize the signs of big leaks.

I have had to add water twice during the shocking process to keep the water at a safe level for the return and pump. Could the leaks be causing my number drops? Is it possible to effectively shock the pool with the pool leaking?
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Schocking - But Pool is Leaking

It is possible to shock the pool with it leaking but it's not optimal. Losing water won't affect your levels but replacing lost water will.

Depending on how much water you're having to replace (% wise) it can have a decent effect on the amount of drop in FC you see.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I guess I will just keep going until my overnight chlorine level is 1 or less. I think I will also add CYA to help with my daytime loss.

I just hate to stop the shocking process so I can get in and patch the pool, only to start it again.

On the upside, other than needing a vacuuming, my water has never been so blue and clear. I could see a quarter clearly through this water it is so clear.
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

4. Back To Top    #4

Since the water is clear and the CC is only .5 ppm, you'd be safe to go into the water at shock level or below. It wouldn't bother me to get in a patch it while still at shock level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice! I guess I will hope in and try to patch it, then continue to shock it until I meet that dang "less than 1ppm fc loss".