Borax vs Boric acid

Bluegrassman said:
the advantage of using boric acid rather than borax would be not having to counter-balance it with muriatic acid addition (due to pH), as well as taking less product to achieve your desired borate level.

Why would you need to counter-balance? Aren't you adding borax specifically to up the pH? I've been using the BBB but to this point I have only had to use bleach. My pH dropped a bit recently though so I am about to add borax to up it per the pool calculator. Am I missing another variable?

I got my boric acid here:
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=boric

Any of them will work, just get the cheapest for the volume you need. I used the granular, and it still dissolved very fast.

For a pool the size of mine, it was MUCH easier.

I tried the Borax route, this got me halfway there.

borax.jpg

Sorry no-mas - I am in Melbourne Australia so a bit too far from FL!!!

But just so that you know it is $50 for 25kg which is basically in your money, $50 for 110 pounds, I think.

Not sure if that is cheap or not but we don't have 20 mule over here and don't really have big stores that sell bulk over here either....

I also like the idea of buying a 110 pound sack of the stuff and being done with it.

I think 110 pounds of boric acid should last a long time?

Juzzie, it will take a little over 22 lbs of boric acid to bring your pool borate level to 30ppm, so yes, I think 110 lb will last quite a while :)

I plan to add borates to our pool next year. If I can find a decent deal like yours, I will certianly go the boric acid route as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bluegrassman said:
Juzzie, it will take a little over 22 lbs of boric acid to bring your pool borate level to 30ppm, so yes, I think 110 lb will last quite a while :)

??? When I used Pool Calculator and put 0 ppm in current and 30 in the goal and set the volume to 15800 I got over 24lbs. It's a small difference but I am curious how you calculated the 22lbs above.

If the OP is using borax to raise pH, it must be borax. Boric acid doesn't do that. If you are looking for a bit of algaecide protection, better water feel and pH buffering, either will do, but borax will require lots of acid to rebalance the pH, whereas boric acid won't affect the pH.

Corrected

chem geek said:
Use 15850 gallons in The Pool Calculator and put in 0 for Now and 30 for Target in the Borate section and select "boric acid" and I get 363 ounces by weight which is 22.7 pounds.

DOH! I see what I did. I was looking in the wrong blank. The one I looked at was VOLUME not WEIGHT! Ounces can be a confusing measurement for that very reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.