Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax vs Boric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax vs Boric acid

I have found a supplier that supplies borax and boric acid in bulk and very cheap.

They are the same price for a 25kg bag.

Boric acid seems to me superior to borax....

Am I right?
    13,000 gallon; sand filter; inground; fibreglass; pump not sure yet (need to check); Installed over 12 months ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borax vs Boric acid

the advantage of using boric acid rather than borax would be not having to counter-balance it with muriatic acid addition (due to pH), as well as taking less product to achieve your desired borate level.
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeap Boric acid is a bit easier to use.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you post up some info on the supplier - and cost?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassman
    the advantage of using boric acid rather than borax would be not having to counter-balance it with muriatic acid addition (due to pH), as well as taking less product to achieve your desired borate level.
    Why would you need to counter-balance? Aren't you adding borax specifically to up the pH? I've been using the BBB but to this point I have only had to use bleach. My pH dropped a bit recently though so I am about to add borax to up it per the pool calculator. Am I missing another variable?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

6. Back To Top    #6

John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

I got my boric acid here:
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=boric

Any of them will work, just get the cheapest for the volume you need. I used the granular, and it still dissolved very fast.

For a pool the size of mine, it was MUCH easier.

I tried the Borax route, this got me halfway there.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry no-mas - I am in Melbourne Australia so a bit too far from FL!!!

But just so that you know it is $50 for 25kg which is basically in your money, $50 for 110 pounds, I think.

Not sure if that is cheap or not but we don't have 20 mule over here and don't really have big stores that sell bulk over here either....

I also like the idea of buying a 110 pound sack of the stuff and being done with it.

I think 110 pounds of boric acid should last a long time?
    13,000 gallon; sand filter; inground; fibreglass; pump not sure yet (need to check); Installed over 12 months ago.

9. Back To Top    #9

Juzzie, it will take a little over 22 lbs of boric acid to bring your pool borate level to 30ppm, so yes, I think 110 lb will last quite a while

I plan to add borates to our pool next year. If I can find a decent deal like yours, I will certianly go the boric acid route as well.
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Oops just realised I think 25 kgs is 55 lb.

Must remember not to do maths when drinking beer. Especially when posting results up on forums!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by juzzie
    Oops just realised I think 25 kgs is 55 lb.

Must remember not to do maths when drinking beer. Especially when posting results up on forums!

right you are! I saw 110lb and didn't give it a thought myself, lol
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassman
    Juzzie, it will take a little over 22 lbs of boric acid to bring your pool borate level to 30ppm, so yes, I think 110 lb will last quite a while
    ??? When I used Pool Calculator and put 0 ppm in current and 30 in the goal and set the volume to 15800 I got over 24lbs. It's a small difference but I am curious how you calculated the 22lbs above.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Use 15850 gallons in The Pool Calculator and put in 0 for Now and 30 for Target in the Borate section and select "boric acid" and I get 363 ounces by weight which is 22.7 pounds.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

If the OP is using borax to raise pH, it must be borax. Boric acid doesn't do that. If you are looking for a bit of algaecide protection, better water feel and pH buffering, either will do, but borax will require lots of acid to rebalance the pH, whereas boric acid won't affect the pH.

Corrected
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    If the OP is using borax to lower pH, it must be borax.
    Borax raises pH. Hence the need for MA to bring it back down after adding borates.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Use 15850 gallons in The Pool Calculator and put in 0 for Now and 30 for Target in the Borate section and select "boric acid" and I get 363 ounces by weight which is 22.7 pounds.
    DOH! I see what I did. I was looking in the wrong blank. The one I looked at was VOLUME not WEIGHT! Ounces can be a confusing measurement for that very reason.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump