Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What glue to use on skimmer/main drains to pvc

1. Back To Top    #1

What glue to use on skimmer/main drains to pvc

What brand/type of glue do you guys use on the skmimer and main drains to pvc pipe. The install sheets say use an approved pvc to abs glue. Also what glue do you use on the cpvc jandy/pentair valves to pvc pipe. What works best??

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

My skimmers were all I'm no help on the ABS

HD/Lowe's has a good selection of glues and, if I remember correctly, cpvc and pvc can be glued with pvc cement.....don't take that to the bank!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Lafayette, Louisiana
    I know that Oatie brand glues make one specific for bonding PVC to ABS. I know that normal PVC glue will still work, you just might not get the max strength out of the fitting.

Being that skimmers/drains are suction side and see little pressure, unlikely to cause problem. Make sure you scuff both sides of the fittings with some sandpaper/emery cloth before gluing.

I used standard PVC glue on my drains/skimmers and pressure tested to 60 psi with no problems...

Just make sure you pressure test BEFORE shooting the gunite!

Also note...When you plug the 2" threaded ports in your drains/skimmers for the pressure test, PTFE paste works much better than teflon tape to seal them.
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD
    Look for Oatey All Purpose Cement in the red can. It works with PVC, CPVC, and ABS.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    The all purpose cement is the winner! Ace Hardware sell an all purpose cement also. Be sure to use BOTH cleaner and primer, it will help give you a stronger solvent bond in addition to the mechanical bond.