Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping leaves out of skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping leaves out of skimmer

Hi everyone,
    I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but i am wondering what people recommend for keeping leaves from building up in the skimmer basket?
    I am going to be going away for 12 days, i have someone keeping an eye on the pool, but we have a tree right over our pool and i am concerned about leaves filling up the skimmer basket.

I created an external filter, similar to the picture below with pvc piping and plastic netting material. It seems to work ok for now, but i tested it by putting a cloth all over the whole thing, even the bottom, and i found that it took about 10 secs to it to run dry. I am sure it will never get that bad, but i still have it on on mind.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Size - 50,000 Litres / 13,208 g (32' x 16' x 4.5' Sport Pool)
    Filter - Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter
    Salt Water - Zodiak LM2
    Pump - Jacuzzi Magnum Force
    Heater - Laars LT LT250NS-C
    IG Pool (Vinyl)
    2003-2005 ish

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping leaves out of skimmer

Do you also have a floor drain? If so, leave the skimmer and floor open so if the skimmer clogs, water will pull from the floor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can use a pool skim to cut down on the amount of leaves floating in the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Do you also have a floor drain? If so, leave the skimmer and floor open so if the skimmer clogs, water will pull from the floor.
    This topic is confusing me, isn't this valve configuration the normal for a pool? I don't understand why both the skimmer and floor drains wouldn't be open all of the time.
    9K gal. IG Fiberglass Pool
    1 HP Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    240 sqft. Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Non-SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

There are a few different ways that pools seem to be plumbed. And there are many pools that do not even have a floor drain.

If the floor is plumbed to the skimmer (both of my pools have been this way), then you need a float diverter in the bottom of the skimmer to allow suction from the floor if the skimmer clogs or the water gets too low.

Or the better way is that both the skimmer and floor are plumbed separately to the equipment pad with a valve to adjust where the suction comes from.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    There are a few different ways that pools seem to be plumbed. And there are many pools that do not even have a floor drain.

If the floor is plumbed to the skimmer (both of my pools have been this way), then you need a float diverter in the bottom of the skimmer to allow suction from the floor if the skimmer clogs or the water gets too low.

Or the better way is that both the skimmer and floor are plumbed separately to the equipment pad with a valve to adjust where the suction comes from.

Thanks for the clarification Jason.
    9K gal. IG Fiberglass Pool
    1 HP Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    240 sqft. Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Non-SWG