Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much bleach??

1. Back To Top    #1

How much bleach??

I am trying to figure out how much bleach to add to shock my pool. It has been a long time since I figured it out and can't remember how. Usually I just add a few jugs of bleach occasionally and never had any problems. I had too much salt in my pool and had to replace some water recently. Combined with the recent hurricanes and rain my pool got out of wack pretty good. It is currently has algae as well. The cya is only 40 at the moment and the FC is 0 but I would like to shock it while I work on the cya.

How do you figure out how much bleach to add to get to shock level? I am doing something wrong because I am coming up with 72 gallons. lol

Btw, I am out of town right now and trying to help the my wife get it balanced over the phone. She has been getting the water tested at the local pool place.
    19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite AQR Pro SWG, T15 cell for 25000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much bleach??

Are you using the poolcalculator.com?

Put your pool size at the top, your current levels in the NOW column and what you want to achieve in the TARGET column.

Remember: [shockai0vj6j][/shockai0vj6j]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Using the pool calculator shows that you need to shock to 15 ppm for green algae and to 24 ppm for mustard algae.

Setting the current FC at zero and the target FC to 15 ppm, it shows that you need 591 ounces (18 quarts) of 6 % bleach.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I was using the pool calculator. I did it the you are mentioning JamesW and it was saying 71 gallons. I must have fat fingered something because now I come up with the same number you posted.

Thanks a bunch,
    19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite AQR Pro SWG, T15 cell for 25000 gal