IntellifloXF VS vs Intelliflo VS

Plankton

Apr 13, 2008
Well after much researching I finally found the Intelliflo VS 0118 pump for a price that suited me. As I was about to hit the "BUY" button, something caught my eye, it was an IntellifloXF VS -005 pump that is supposed to be more efficient then the -018 pump. Does anybody have any info on this? I can't seem to find a comparison chart to see what the differences are. If I'm going to spend $800 plus bucks on a pump I might as well get the best and newest model out there. If anyone has any info on the differences between these two, I would appreciate some insight. I haven't checked out prices yet, but I am going to start that now. TIA.

Just looking at the Pentair website, it looks like the XF is the first of the intelliflo pumps to have a new wet end pump design. Previously the intelliflo used the same wet end as the Whisperflo pumps. Likely the motors are the same as the XF seems to be a designation for the "improved" hydraulics.

So, if the hydraulics are improved, you could get the same flow rate at a lower RPM, and thus lower the electrical cost.

Interesting if this new design is actually cheaper than the old design as your post implies.

Pentair has come out with the XF series of pumps including the WhisperfloXF and the IntellifloXF. Just as the regular Intelliflo uses the Whisperflo WFE-12 wet end, the IntellifloXF uses the WhisperfloXF XFE-12 wet end.

As to the performance improvements, unfortunately, there is little data to actually compare the two directly since Pentair has not populated the CEC database with the IntellifloXF test data. However, if I compare the WFDS-30 with the XFDS-30, there is about a 3% efficiency improvement which isn't a lot.

I would say that if they are the same price, then definitely go for the newer pump.

I forgot to mention the the two speed versions of the XF pumps seem have much better efficiency on low speed so they are probably using the new capacitor run low speed motors that AO Smith is now selling.

I'm no expert and certainly can't offer any technical advice. However, I can tell you we love our Pentair VF pump. They do cost a more, but I like being able to set it for different speeds for maximum circulation when needed, just enough for cleaning, running the waterfall, etc. Any other time, we run it at very low flow and it still does a great job while being nearly silent.

Well I went ahead and ordered the IntellifloXF, while the price difference was $80 from the regular Intelliflo VS, I figured over the life of the pump I should make that up, if all the bells and whistles they tout are true. Either way it's a win-win situation, my electric costs should drop tremendously and I won't hear my pool pump across town. PG&E gives a whopping $100 rebate,(sarcasm) which will bring the cost down a bit, but everything helps, can't complain on that. Now I just have to look and replace my pool light next, oh joy, oh joy!

Well, believe me I am grateful, the only reason that i was sarcastic is because every other power company in the state was offering between $200-$250 with LA County offering a whopping $500 rebate. But beggars can't be choosey. And besides I don't even know if I qualify for the rebate yet. The pump is so new it isn't even on their list, so I may very well be in the same boat as you. But as I said before either way I win, my power usage should go way down and I'm very happy about that!

I am not sure where you are located (OP) but do yourself a favor and put surge protection on the line feeding the Intelliflo. The drives seem to be very vulnerable to line surges from lightning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Bluegrassman, that's one of great benefits of getting this pump! Mark, I'm just up the road aways from you, in Tracy, I will heed the advice, I am going to swap out the breakers for GFCI's when I install the new pump also.

We don't get too much lightening in No CA but it probably wouldn't hurt. Plus you can protect the whole house while your at it.

I don't have a lot of recommendations for manufactures but here are a few examples:

Indoor
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

Outdoor
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

Which you use depends on your own situation. Also, I think one of those is only 120v so you would want one that covers both sides of the breaker box (230v). But if you don't have experience working on electrical lines, then I would recommend hiring an electrician.

The design on the new XF wet ends is awesome. Pentair will eventually phase out the whisperflo wet end and they will all go to these.
From the suction/return union that you can plumb 2 1/2 and 3" to the huge well built basket, easy open lid. Even made to simply replace the union without cutting the pipe. Well positioned handle for easy setting, internal design makes it pump way more water at lower rpm.
Just compare the flow rates between it and a whisperflo.
A whisperflo at 40 ft of hd will pump 140 GPM, where a XF will pump almost 200.

I just installed a XF waterfall pump. Basically a 3hp with the XF wet end. I was feeding 3 5' long sheer waterfalls with this.
I was a little nervous with the install, as I truly needed at least 150gpm min to make these even work. Rep told me to relax, it wont be an issue.
Well when I fired them up, the sheers shot out into the pool way more then I would ever of imagined. And quiet, wow.
This wet end blows the competition away.

Okay, got the pump installed today, what a PITA! No one had the correct reducer fittings I needed. This thing comes with big fittings!! 2.5 ID 3.0 OD. But trying to find reducer fittings, fugetaboutit So I find the reducers, primer them up and just as I'm about to push them together I remember the nut, that needs to go on or else it ain't going on! LOL, Okay so I get everything in, pump set in place and see that the PVC pipe connection to the output is off by a 1/4, enough to tweak it, but put a strain on the other end going to the filter, great, just great! So for the time being I tweak it in place and tighten it down, hoping to get lucky ( that didn't happen by the way) ready to hook up electrical, put the strain connector in and get 1/2 turn before it hits the fan case, no problem I'll just take out the two screws remove the fan case and be done with it, except that there are three screws and the third one is on the bottom, so everything comes apart again! Well anyway, it leaks at the filter side so I have to re-engineer the pvc (I hate working with PVC, it;s either right or it's wrong, there's no in between) but started it up and it was sheer bliss!! This pump is quiet, and I love the fact that at 750 RPM I'm using no more than 110 watts!!! Yippee!!! Now of course I have to adjust that so the wattage will be more, but so far first impressions are very nice! I'm still in the midst of programming it but I am very impressed so far.

Bob,
After searching all around, Home Depot, OSH, I finally found them at ACE Hardware, no one else had them. I'll try and get pictures in the morning.
On a side note, my bill compared to the same time last year with my old single speed is $43 less. The only factors that are different is that I was running this pump for a lot longer than the same time last year. I've now reduced the run time to the same amount as last year and I should have a much more accurate reflection of my savings in Feb, when all the Xmas stuff is down.

Thanks for that, and it would be helpful to see pictures if you have them. Also very glad to hear the cost reduction due to the new pump. I have read great things about this pump, and am hopeful it will save me some $$ with our new (DIY) pool.

Thanks!
Bobjtx

The last post in this thread is a couple years old but I pretty much have the same question but wanted know if anything has changed in the past two years.

I’ve read through this thread and few others looking for more efficient pump to save on electrical costs. I have a small pool (about 13,000 gallons) with attached Jacuzzi and no water features. Plumbing is 2 inch and buried under concrete so larger pipes is not an option. I currently have a whisperflo 1.5hp (Wf-6), which is working fine but might be slightly overpowered. It seems from all the other threads that an intelliflo VS would be the way to go. One speed for the daily filter run and another speed to run the Jacuzzi when we occasionally use it. I was looking at the intellifloxf but read in a thread that it’s not a good match for my 2-inch pipes. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hey crc2004. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I created a new thread for you here. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/71080-IntellifloXF-VS-vs-Intelliflo-VS

Hopefully you'll see more replies with your own thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.