Filter Cartridge comparisons for Hayward c4030 filter ???

zbigkid

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
Illinois
Hey folks,

I have a new Hayward Filter with my new pool this season. Filters have been doing fine, and when clean run at 18 psi. I hose them down when differential pressure gets above 24 psi. And they go back to 18 psi when cleaned.

My question- has anyone found that other brands of cartridges have a higher differential pressure when new and clean ? I bought as a back up set, a set of Filbur FC-1226 cartridges, and upon installing them immediately noticed they operate at 22 psi.

The only thing that appeared to be different from the OEM cartridge is there is some sort of center support piece in the inner tube of the cartridge. Maybe that is restricting the flow.

Either way, while 4 psi may not sound a lot, clearly my pump will work harder and suck more energy. Sort of disappointing to see this psi difference.

Water is crystal clear, just like it was when I used the Haywards.

P.S. Anyone use Unicel brand filters, or Pleatco ? If so, what do you think of quality, and have you noticed, any difference in delta P ?

Re: Filter Cartridge comparisons for Hayward c4030 filter ??

There could be several reasons for the pressure increase. Finer pores in the media, less media, thicker media, etc. Any of which may make the replacement better or worse than the original.

zbigkid said:
Either way, while 4 psi may not sound a lot, clearly my pump will work harder and suck more energy.
Actually the opposite is true. The higher head will actually make the pump use less power than a lower head would. I know it seems backward, but that's how it works. Take an amp meter and put on the pump motor and then slowly close off a valve on the discharge of the pump (raising the pressure) and see what happens to the amps. NOTE: This is only for centrifugal pumps like our pool pumps. Positive displacement pumps are a different animal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.