Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Calcium Chloride Expire?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coral Springs, FL (near Ft. Lauderdale)

Does Calcium Chloride Expire?

About to purchase a 25 lb pail and want to know if it will go bad. If so, is there any way to tell how old it is when purchased? Looking at this product, but from another retailer. The linked page has a link to the MSDS.

Also, any special storage indications aside from keep dry? Anything it shouldn't be stored near?

15x30 inground concrete pool w/spa and spillover, all under screen enclosure
    Hayward C1200 StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter and Hayward Navigator V-Flex
    Jandy AquaPure 1400 and Laars LX400 propane heater w/120 gal above-ground tank
    Jandy iAquaLink and OneTouch controller w/PDA remotes
    JVAs control pool/spa switch and also allow drain opening

2. Back To Top    #2

Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Re: Does Calcium Chloride Expire?

Calcium Chloride or Hardness Builder is a Basic/alkali with a pH around 7-8 depending on the product, so should be stored with your other alkalis - Bleach, Cal Hypo, Sodium Bi-Carb, Sodium Carbonate/soda ash.

Provided it is retained in an air-tight container which it is usually supplied in in sizes smaller than 25kg and in ambient temperature, there is if I recall correctly no shelf life.

Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK

3. Back To Top    #3

New Jersey

Re: Does Calcium Chloride Expire?

I doubt there is a limit. I had a 25lb. expensive pool-store bucket that sat half-full for years (at least five) while I used DowFlake in 50lb. bags. It was just fine when I eventually got around to using it (can't always find CaCl snow melt.) If exposed to air, it will absorb humidity and turn into a rock over time, but I bet it still would provide CH to your pool. You would just have to break it up.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.