Replacing my Polaris 380 with a Baracuda MX-8

scum1

Sep 4, 2012
I know pressure vs suction but I am just tired of the Polaris money pit. I am constantly replacing parts and am hesitant to buy a new Polaris because I was only happy with my 380 for the first year(had it for 6 or 7 years). It never really seemed to get the job done(missed too many spots), gets stuck, something is always breaking or needs replacing, hose, quick connect, backup valve, wheels, belts, pump, bag. Polaris needs quick connect valve and new tires right now as well as a new hose. My pool is inground with diamond brite finish, 17k gallons. Do you think I would be happy with the Baracuda MX-8 instead. Lately I been hand vacuuming but I'm getting tired of that. I will be hooking the MX-8 up to the skimmer.

Sorry nobody ever responded!

I haven't heard bad things about the MX8, but it's fairly new still. Will you convert the cleaner line that you used for the polaris to be your suction line, or are you planning on using the skimmer?

If you do hook it up to the skimmer I would recommend getting a Pool Skim. Between the Pool Skim and my Baracuda G3 my pool stays very clean without me having to do anything other than empty out the Pool Skim bag.

scum1 said:
I know pressure vs suction but I am just tired of the Polaris money pit. I am constantly replacing parts and am hesitant to buy a new Polaris because I was only happy with my 380 for the first year(had it for 6 or 7 years). It never really seemed to get the job done(missed too many spots), gets stuck, something is always breaking or needs replacing, hose, quick connect, backup valve, wheels, belts, pump, bag. Polaris needs quick connect valve and new tires right now as well as a new hose. My pool is inground with diamond brite finish, 17k gallons. Do you think I would be happy with the Baracuda MX-8 instead. Lately I been hand vacuuming but I'm getting tired of that. I will be hooking the MX-8 up to the skimmer.

I here ya with the parts and all..i just replaced my complete hose on my 360, swivels and all and within a week or so they start leaking out the connections at the swivels past the o-rings..PITA..so i be kepping and eye on this thread for when I look into getting away from what seems to be a money pit expensive cleaner...I'll be repiping my pump pad this fall and may even add a little manifold with valves that supply my pressure port so I can go with either a pressure or suction cleaner? Which ever I decide to try, and if I wanna switch back to the other its a matter of a valve alignment to suctiin or pressure ....

I'll be going with the skimmer. I do have a connection on the pool wall to the skimmer where I can hook it up I believe. It has a plug in it. I was never sure what it was there for but now I think this is why.

Melt In The Sun said:
roadking, that's a great idea, as long as the current pressure line is big enough. Some lines put in for Polaris-type cleaners are too small to be used with a suction cleaner.

Humm, good to know i need to look into that..but i believe my pipe run to it is 1"1/2 just like my return ports but at the wall of the pool there is a quick connect adapter thats screwed into my port (just like an eyeball fitting would)for my polaris 360 (no booster pump type,maybe thats the difference ) I can only assume right now that most suction cleaners are 1-1/2" lines? ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
roadking00 said:
Melt In The Sun said:
roadking, that's a great idea, as long as the current pressure line is big enough. Some lines put in for Polaris-type cleaners are too small to be used with a suction cleaner.

Humm, good to know i need to look into that..but i believe my pipe run to it is 1"1/2 just like my return ports but at the wall of the pool there is a quick connect adapter thats screwed into my port (just like an eyeball fitting would)for my polaris 360 (no booster pump type,maybe thats the difference ) I can only assume right now that most suction cleaners are 1-1/2" lines? ?

My 380 connection was converted from a regular return. The pipe in the ground is 1.5" which is what I would expect for a normal return on this pool. If I wanted to convert it I would simply take the 1 - 1.5" adapter off the feeds from the booster pump and plumb the 1.5" line to the suction side of the pump plumbing.

I am in Roadking's corner, when it comes to a "dual suction/pressure" setup. I have had most of the same problems as most Polaris owners ( lots of pricey parts to replace ). On balance, I have been happy with the performance of the 380, & have upgraded through the years, starting with the 180. I am looking into getting a Baracuda MX8 for an intirely different reason though. My MD is currently plugged up with 1" cedar needles & other assorted crud, and my skimmer suction pipe has a major leak. I am having the skimmer line replaced next week with a 2" PVC line, routed into my pump-house & a 3-way Jandy valve. My main reason for re-plumbing for a suction-side cleaner (with a valve option to go pressure as well), is to get an additional 1-1/2" line "to the bottom of the pool", to insure adequate circulation if I completely block my MD suction line. With two 1-1/2" suction lines into the pump, plus straightening out all the 90* bends in my current plumbing, I shouldn't have the cavitation problems I currently have, when the MD gets obstructed. I don't have a priming problem, as my equipment is 5' below "sea level". I am not sure how to adapt both the 380 & the Bacaruda into the threaded wall port (no, I will not be mounting the Cuda into my skimmer), but perhaps I can buy an extra Polaris quic-disconnect, and modify it to take a Cuda hose.

Be certain to get some form of in line leaf catcher with the MX8, as you don't want clogging of your vacuum line. This is particularly so if you have any trees around dropping leaves into the water. I've found that the Hayward large leaf catcher works well in our system, and is very easy to clean. The one from Zodiac is essentially worthless. Also, you need to really dial in the proper vacuum level for the cleaner. There is a fine line between not enough and too much vacuum, with the former leading to clogging of the cleaner, and the latter leading to early component wear and too much time at the surface. Overall, it's a good cleaner, esp. for the price. I haven't had to vacuum my pool in months, but it took quite a bit of trial and error to get things working well. I still need to fish it out of the pool and clean out jams, esp. long pine needles and large mulberry leaves.

Funny, because I am seriously considering ditching my MX-8 and getting a Polaris pressure driven unit. I have only had my MX-8 for a year and now it hardly moves around the pool. It suffers from all the same issues that the suction models have, mostly debris gets stuck in the unit and it doesn't go anywhere. Now I have some mystery issue, where everything seems correct (no debris clogging unit, filter clean, correct pressure) yet it still won't do its job. Maybe I just ran afoul of being an early adopter of this unit, as I hear improvements have been made.

Also I will second the earlier poster who said that the Zodiac leaf catcher is junk. I got one and it stinks. Find an alternative in-line debris catcher, because you will need this if you don't want to be cleaning your main catch basket every other day and back washing every week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.