Far North Dallas options for Chlorine sources

Cajun

Dec 16, 2011
Prosper, Texas
Well the local Costco changed the bleach to a higher concentration, provided less volume and raised the price. You would think with less weight and packaging the price should have dropped.

Old price $8.99
3 pack / 182oz - 6%

New price $9.38
3 pack / 121oz - 8.25%

The box makes a claim that this concentrated 121oz is equal to the old 182oz in chlorine content but my math shows that's not the case, maybe I'm doing something wrong in my calculation.

Anyway I'm curious where others in far north Dallas are getting their chlorine.

Thanks

I'm in So Cal so I can't help with the location for your chlorine source, but I just went to Costco and noticed the price of the bleach and it has risen 80 cents from the last time I bought it. Our Costco carries it in 2 packs of 182oz jugs each for $5.79 and they are still the 6% concentration.

It seems from other posts that the price increased 10% compared to the 6%, but I'm not too sure if it just isn't the fact that bleach has increased in price lately.

I would usually get my bleach at the I-35W/Hwy 121 Costco but have been going to Wal-Mart lately. I am not enough of a math brain to figure out the equivalency there but it doesn't sound like a better deal to me really.

The simplest way to figure it out is to do the following on your phone calculator:

price in dollars /% concentration /volume of a jug /# jugs

also since the order of division doesnt matter, if you cant remember the formula, just remember to divide the price by everything else.

price/volume/%/#jugs or any other combination is the same as long as price is the first number.

So if the price is 5.79 for 2 jugs of 182 oz you could do something like

5.79 / .06 of chlorine = 96.5

96.5 / 182 oz per jug = .53

.53/2 jugs = $0.265 per unit of chlorine

Costco
9.38 /.0825 = 113.7
113.7 / 121 oz per jug = .94
.94 / 3 = $0.31 per unit of chlorine

Costco old price

8.99/.06/182/3 = .274

Yea that's what I had got as well but it also shows the label is wrong (by about 10%), they are not the same amount of chlorine.

The old looks to be 32.76 oz of chlorine
182*3*.06=32.76 oz

The concentrate is 29.95 oz of chlorine
121*3*.0825=29.95 oz

So really considering the price difference and the fact you get less chlorine this is a 12.38% increase from a Costco perspective. I need to check out Aldi grocery and see what their bleach cost is. I can't seem to find a pool store in the area that carries liquid.

In reading other post it looks like the 6% is being phased out.

Cajun said:
Yea that's what I had got as well but it also shows the label is wrong (by about 10%), they are not the same amount of chlorine.

The old looks to be 32.76 oz of chlorine
182*3*.06=32.76 oz

The concentrate is 29.95 oz of chlorine
121*3*.0825=29.95 oz

So really considering the price difference and the fact you get less chlorine this is a 12.38% increase from a Costco perspective. I need to check out Aldi grocery and see what their bleach cost is. I can't seem to find a pool store in the area that carries liquid.

In reading other post it looks like the 6% is being phased out.
The price at costco definitely went up a significant percent, but in total dollars it is minimal. When I have gone to other stores they sometimes dont have enough which means I have to go to multiple stores. Costco always has a ton and they come in boxes of 3 which are convenient for carrying around and stacking.

Cajun said:
RobbieH said:
Far north Dallas is an understatement if you are in Prosper. :)
:mrgreen: yea I agree. it's just easier than describing where Prosper is.

Does anyone know why liquid chlorine is not sold here? It is strictly lack of demand or is there some other reason?

I have stopped in at various places for years and asked that question. It basically comes down to a lack of demand and storage space.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cajun said:
Well the local Costco changed the bleach to a higher concentration, provided less volume and raised the price. You would think with less weight and packaging the price should have dropped.

Old price $8.99
3 pack / 182oz - 6%

New price $9.38
3 pack / 121oz - 8.25%
This makes me sad as Costco was my "go to" source for bleach. On the other hand, it justifies my recent bleach purchases at Kroger! :-D Costco is difficult for me to get to although it's only 3-4 mi. away, so I haven't been there since the change. Kroger store brand is $3.19/121 oz jug of 8.25%.

Beez said:
Cajun said:

Old price $8.99
3 pack / 182oz - 6%

New price $9.38
3 pack / 121oz - 8.25%
This makes me sad as Costco was my "go to" source for bleach. On the other hand, it justifies my recent bleach purchases at Kroger! :-D Costco is difficult for me to get to although it's only 3-4 mi. away, so I haven't been there since the change. Kroger store brand is $3.19/121 oz jug of 8.25%.

Im not sure what you were saying, costco is still a tiny bit cheaper than kroger

march2012 said:
Beez said:
Cajun said:

Old price $8.99
3 pack / 182oz - 6%

New price $9.38
3 pack / 121oz - 8.25%

Im not sure what you were saying, costco is still a tiny bit cheaper than kroger
yep, $0.19 cheaper! :-D

So today I stopped by a Walmart and their brand was $2.98 for either the 192 @ 6% or the 121 @ 8.25%. Both were on the same shelf but the shelf tag only reflected the 121 oz product so I assume they will no longer carry the 6%. I bought 4 jugs of the 6%.

I then passed an Aldi on the way home so I figured I would stop there. Their brand is 1.19 for 94oz @ 6%. I bought 2 just to test it out since I have head mixed reviews about their bleach.

I got home and my pool FC was 1. I added a jug of the aldi bleach ran the cleaner for an hour and rechecked and my FC was around 4 as I would have expected. The aldi seems to be the low cost alternative for now. Soon they may be the only place still carrying 6%, but that may change soon as well.

I'm sure that all of the store brands get their bleach from the same manufacturers, so I would guess that they will all be 8.25% before too long - it gives them a reason to charge more and lower shipping costs at the same time by selling smaller bottles.

Costco in austin just dropped their price from the 9.55 range for 3 121 oz bottles of 8.25% to the old price of 8.55 for the same thing. 8.55 was the price that 3 182 oz of 6% used to sell for.

I still like going there because they always have it in stock and it is easy to carry because of the boxes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.