Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not a good pool day :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Not a good pool day :(

With drenching rains in my area yesterday, I had to remove some excess water via backwashing several times. I looked at it as a positive to allow an extended backwash to really clean out my sand filter.

This morning... taking out my dogs, I entered the yard and glanced at the pool. I had one of those "my pool is so clean, I can barely see the water" moments... until I suddenly realized that I could not see the water!!! My first thought was that I had somehow left my valve open to backwash, but going to my equipment, I found that the hose from the filter to the return had popped off at the return.

My pool had drained to the bottom of my return. My pump was running all night, both pump and skimmer are empty. There was very little standing water in the area, so I am assuming this happened many hours ago. I am refilling now and hoping for the best regarding my pump.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not a good pool day :(

Hoping with you!!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

My fingers are crossed for you. Several reports on the forum of no damage from similar incidents.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I hoping for you too!

I have run a pump dry overnight and it survived.

At least you don't have a floor drain
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I did something similar last year. I had my sump pump in the pool to remove extra water after a big rain. It takes about an inch off an hour or so. I unplugged it when I went to bed because it was at about the perfect level but I did not remove pump from pool. Well once primed those pumps will remove water even after unplugging it from the electrical outlet. It pumped water out all night and when I got up my pool pump was running dry. It did no noticeable damage to my pump. Im guessing it ran that way for 4-5 hours at least.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the comments... it is giving me some hope that all will be well. A few more hours to go and I'll know. We just sent three kids off to college last week, so there is NO room at all in the budget for an 'end of season' equipment purchase at the moment.
    27' round AG

7. Back To Top    #7

....and we're good!!!
    27' round AG

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hayward makes a strong pump. Had one on my old pool. Glad everything turned out good for you.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator