Greater Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just chipped this stuff of a couple of weeks ago and its back. What is causing it and how do I remove it for good? Usually I can use my fingernail and break it apart.

Also my pool plaster sometimes looks like this where you can see spots
On the side. There are also a couple of areas where the plaster appears to be worn down to where you can see whatever is dark behind it. Pool is 12 years old and previous owner did not take care of it.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346724861429.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346724861429.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 267
  • uploadfromtaptalk1346725011558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346725011558.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 266
What you see below the waterline appears to be calcium deposits. The white stuff on the grout between the tiles is efflorescence and can be removed with a dilute solution of water and muriatic acid. Be sure to wash the tile well with water after applying the acid solution.

Ok thanks, can someone give me instructions on making the solution and then applying it? Like what do I need exactly.

Also as far as the calcium deposits, can that be fixed? It seems that the are really visible some days and other days they are not!

Mix the muriatic acid with 3 parts water to 1 part muriatic. Apply it to the efflorescence. If it foams, it's working, if it doesn't, mix it stronger 'til it does. rinse well.

For the calcium scale underwater, you will need to post a complete set of test results so we can see what's going on.

Thanks.

As for the test results to see underwater scaling, is it something I have done or something the previous owner did? I assumed it was the previous owner who did not take care of the pool and did that damage?

4x4tx said:
Thanks.

As for the test results to see underwater scaling, is it something I have done or something the previous owner did? I assumed it was the previous owner who did not take care of the pool and did that damage?
Could be either. I have it, too.

If you live in a hard water area, it's very hard to avoid. It requires obsessive attention to pH, TA, CH, and the CSI that poolcalculator will generate.

I have noticed on some days it is very hard to see and others it is very visible...I thought it was when I shocked the pool it would go away but I dont think that was it.

Hmm that could be...but I think when I took those pics it was sunny...I just thought there was something in the chem balance that made it less visible...does acid wash get rid of that or do I need to replaster?

What about the efflorescence, is that a sign of hard water? I get that really bad, its a battle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Acid wash will remove it. But if your plaster is old and crumbly, it might finish it off and necessitate a replaster.

Try adjusting your water to a negative CSI - something close to -.6 - and concentrate your brushing on one area and see if it doesn't fade in a week. If so, and you're the patient type, you can remove the scale yourself over the next few years.

Drained my pool down to drop cya and took some pics [attachment=1:3cgr02pn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372386157.416695.jpg[/attachment:3cgr02pn][attachment=0:3cgr02pn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372386174.999655.jpg[/attachment:3cgr02pn]

Look like scale?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372386157.416695.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372386157.416695.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 45
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372386174.999655.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372386174.999655.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 45
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.