Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing test reagents - lifespan?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing test reagents - lifespan?

I am replacing some reagents and I am tossing around the idea of buying 16oz bottles of them to save money. Are there any reagents in the Taylor K-2006 that I should not buy like this? It's not like the pool is going anywhere so I figure I might as well buy them. I used all my R-0871 shocking my pool over the past week so I have to order soon.

I store them in a cool, dark and dry place.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing test reagents - lifespan?

If you store them in a dark place indoors, they should last for several seasons. The R-0011L solution can get old and may need replacing in a few years. Other than that though, you'll probably end up running out of things before you need to throw them out. One thing that I would suggest buying in a larger amount is the CYA reagent. Since you use so much of it for one test, it pays to go bigger. tftestkits.net is a very inexpensive place to get such items.

3. Back To Top    #3

The only thing I'd even consider buying in that quantity would be R-0871 and a 2oz bottle is more than I use in a season so it'd be questionable. Taylor says they're good for a year, so do you really want them sitting around 3 or 4 years? I figure about 2 years is all I want to trust them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Generally speaking, the organic dyes are relatively fragile (R-0004/R-0014, R-0008, R-0011L), the FAS-DPD liquid is light/heat sensitive (R-0871) and the DPD powder is moisture sensitive but is also an organic dye though more stable in solid form (R-0870). The acids/bases should last forever (R-0005, R-0006, R-0009, R-0010) while the other components are in between in stability (R-0003, R-0007, R-0012, R-0013).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

So you would not recommend getting 16 ounces of R-0004,R-0008, or R-0011L, correct?
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered the 2oz R-0871. I will see how much I use the first couple of seasons before I order large quantities.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    So you would not recommend getting 16 ounces of R-0004,R-0008, or R-0011L, correct?
    That's right. Not unless you plan on going through that volume of reagent in no more than 2 years (Taylor recommends changing after 1 year, but storing in a cool dry place away from sunlight probably is OK for up to 2 years). See the Taylor article on Recognizing a Compromised Reagent.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"