Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine storage over winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine storage over winter

I know that chlorine has a half-life and the higher the concentration the more unstable (i.e. shorter the half life) but hear me out...

I have a case (4 gallons) of 12.5% left this season AND I was just passing through my local supermarket where I usually purchase my chlorine from and they are clearancing out this year's stock at $7.40/case. So I was just wondering...

Has anyone actually used liquid from a prior season (with higher than 6% concentration)? I plan to either store this case in my basement, which stays under 70, or in my garage which would be exposed to cold temperatures...

Even if it lost half its potency (which I don't think it would at the proper temps), at $7.40/case it seems like a good gamble...no?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid chlorine storage over winter

This might be helpful.
    Chlorine degradation due to hear over time - 12% Chart

Also this.
    Chlorine percentage half life

Half life refers to 50% reduction in strength.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I wouldn't waste the time and energy. There is usually a pretty good reason they have it on clearance.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    This might be helpful.
    Chlorine degradation due to hear over time - 12% Chart

Also this.
    Chlorine percentage half life

Half life refers to 50% reduction in strength.
    Thanks for that information. That is helpful.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have kept liquid chlorine over the winter in my shed, if kept in the dark and close, it can be frozen and will retain its potency or only lose a little of its potency. If you let it freeze in a plastic carboy, just make sure there is enough room for expansion of the frozen container to avoid cracking it. If you store it inside at room temperature, seal it well and keep it in the dark; it will not decompose very much at all.
    15-foot above ground pool, Hayward Turbo-Flow pump with sand filter, use liquid chlorine, Metchlor Caddy pool chlorinator; Metchlor Caddy also used for automatically adding muriatic acid; winterize with light and water resistant cover.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the information...those charts only show degradation down to a certain temperature and I was just curious if anyone had stored it below those temps. Good information.