How many lower the water level for winter?

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
Or do you leave it and plug skimmer and return? We have very harsh winters and the past two winters I have lowered the water 6 inches below the return. I know I've read that some people leave the water level and I am very tempted to try this approach but nervous that the ice might damage things. Would love the hear what works for you in an area that gets severe winters.

I've had the pool for 6 (or was it 7?) years, and I have never lowered the water. In fact, (and I know no one is going to like what I say), I even pump the water off the cover into the pool. We run it through a filter first. My well water has a lot of iron, so this is really the only option, aside from sequestrant. Every year when I open the pool, it has been fine, except for leaves and lots of dirt on the bottom. I can't recommend this method, because everyone's pool is different, but all I can say is that it works for me.

The climate is quite different in NJ than in Western PA. My climate is even more different. If I lived in Westren PA, I would lower the water below the returns religiously. The damage from freezing is real and that's why people do it.

We are in central Missouri and have just recently started using skimmer plug and putting a return plug in the returns and have had good luck the last two years doing this. Although last winter was really mild for us. We drain the water out of the pump, filter and all plumbing. This has seemed to help with keeping winter covers on as we have less pull on them since pools remain mostly full. Hope this helps

Northern Ontario, cold winters and a lot of snow, I lowered mine last year (by more than 6 inches) and I'll do it again. I don't want snow/ice getting in the return or the skimmer, it will wreck them.

18' above ground and live in western NY. Lots of cold and lots of snow. I have an aqua door for the skimmer and a 1.5" plug for the return. I unhook both hoses so no water can stay trapped. I drain the filter and put the pump in the garage. 15+ years this way with no problems

I have always drained, but would consider using a skimmer cover if enough people have had good experiences.

How does the return not get cracked since it would be completely submerged in (frozen) water..?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess maybe here in Jersey the water doesn't freeze down to the return. This year I am a little worried though, because the eyeball is loose, and when I plug it to clean the filter, it still leaks. I am afraid that come winter, it will leak and freeze, and then crack. Guess I will just have to wait and see. And I am not sure if not draining is a good idea, it might just be that I have been lucky. Although, it would be at least 6 years of luck. I can't advocate not draining, because every pool is different, and every city is different. If you think there is a risk of freezing, drain. I am sure replacing a cracked skimmer, or fixing something because of a freeze is not better than draining.

Speedo you have to use a plug in the return fitting. We always disconnect any plumbing from the skimmer and return so no water can be trapped in the pump or filter. John you are exactly right every location is unique, the best recommendation is talk to a local pool company and see what they recommend for your area. See if they will explain their procedure for closing and go from there.

swimcmp said:
Speedo you have to use a plug in the return fitting. We always disconnect any plumbing from the skimmer and return so no water can be trapped in the pump or filter.
I should have phrased that better, I meant with the plug, wouldn't the "collar" and plug freeze and crack?

x2 on playing it safe, probably the best and overall easiest way.

I haven't lowered the last 3 or 4 years. I just plug it all up and remove the equipment & hoses. The pump/filter goes in my basement. I'm still on the original liner. I have seen some ice dig marks above the normal water line, I'd rather have that high then under the water line. The only plastic damage was the plastic butterfly nut on my drain plug broke. Whoopee. Mine freezes solid.

I posted a topic about a product that would enable me to avoid draining, but no one has responded with info. Could those of you who have survived winters with a full pool specify what you use to plug the openings?

If AG, do you still need the pillow under the cover?

Sent from my iPhone

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.