SWG Melting at Electrolytic Cell

Aug 19, 2012
Hello.
I have a 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame I bought in June with the included
Krystal Clear Filter Pump Model 635T and the
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110 I purchased separately.

With the help of your site and the local pool store our pool has been clear with minimal work. The recurring issue is the SWG. This is the third one we have had and each one has melted at the electrolytic cell. I have kept the copper electrodes clean and there are no obvious reasons I can see. I also put the third SWG out of the sun thinking the Texas sun might have helped the melting issue. The pool store and the store I bought it from have no clue why and haven't heard of this problem. I have looked and looked through this site for anyone having this issue and can't find it. I will be calling Intex tomorrow but was hoping one of you pool geniuses could clue me in. I will be getting a refund again from the store with no problem I'm sure. I don't want to get another as this is obviously a recurrent problem for me. I just don't know what to do. I would be thrilled if there is a simple answer and I have been doing something foolish. :oops: I'm ready to be done with the whole mess but my 6 kids and spouse in the 100 degree Tx heat are not. Please help.

Welcome to TFP.

Are they just replacing the cell or the entire swg?

What is the salt level in the pool and how did you test it?

Is it the electrical connection on the swg cell or the copper bars that's melting? If it's he copper bar connector you can (and should) just unplug it. It's adding copper to the pool which can and will cause problems with staining and turning hair green.

Melting usually indicates a bad connection or high amps. Given that you've had 3 units it's not likely a connection problem unless the connection is being made incorrectly each time, and that's not likely three times in a row. It could be high salt causing the cell to draw high amps causing the melting.

Hi Dave,
They are replacing the entire SWG each time. I have had my local pool store test my salt and it has been between 2700 and 3000ppm each time. They have been very helpful in keeping the water clear during the entire process.

It's the electrical connection everytime. It starts melting from one of the two prongs. Everything is connected exactly per Intex instructions with no modifications. Water flow is also good.

Thanks for your reply. I can add a picture if you think that would help.
Appreciatively,
Jennifer

This last one didn't get much water of any sort until it was already burned up because we had it covered (with plenty of ventilation of course). I thought the sun might have been helping the issue along so we built a tall box with no sides to protect it from the sun and inadvertently other elements as well. It did get splashed all day long yesterday after I discovered it was melted had turned it off. That being said, it is certainly possible it got splashed before the party just up under our cover. I imagine it would only take a drop or two to start an erosion and subsequently a short.

I suppose I'll replace it again and be sure it stays untouched. If you have any more ideas on what else might be contributing this gal would surely appreciate it. I'll keep you posted and thanks for your help Dave!
:wave:

Jennifer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.