Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling up pool with well water

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling up pool with well water

I drained and cleaned the pool the other day and then filled it back up overnight. It was filled with well water so when it was finished filling up it was a clear brown color. I added 1 liter of Metal Out and let it circulate for a few hours and that didn't do anything so I tested the pH and it was 8.4. I added acid to lower it down to 7.5 and that seemed like it did very little if anything to clear it up any. It's now been about 24 hours since adding the Metal Out and acid and it looks about the same clear brown color. Is there something else that should be done to clear up the pool before adding the rest of the chemicals that should be done when starting up a pool? There is no chlorine since I haven't added any (because I heard that shocking a pool with metals in it would only make it worse). Please help because I would like to get it going as soon as possible before algae or anything starts growing.
    16K Gallon Vinyl IG Pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter (62 GPM) and Sta-Rite Pump (1 HP)
    North Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling up pool with well water

linen edit: See Bama comments below
    Take a look at the recommended sequestrants in this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...metal%20stains. [s:16dk5jel]The one listed in there are better quality and should help with the metals.[/s:16dk5jel]
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Metal Out is an HEDP (phosphonic acid) sequestrant, so it's one of the recommended types. I'd have to say that you haven't used enough. Add more to see if it clears it up.

You need to get soem FC in there if you haven't already.

Brown usually means iron and there have been several reports of people shocking their pool to precipitate some of the iron and using paper towels in the skimmer to filter them out. I'm not sure you want to try that with a plaster pool however.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Metal Out is an HEDP (phosphonic acid) sequestrant, so it's one of the recommended types.
    Thanks for catching that Bama
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Brown usually means iron and there have been several reports of people shocking their pool to precipitate some of the iron and using paper towels in the skimmer to filter them out. I'm not sure you want to try that with a plaster pool however.
    I am one of those people. Everytime I top of my pool I get a brown (usually) tint to my water. I can filter it out if I am patient, usually takes about 3 days with my sand filter for my topoffs (about 8% of pool volume). I am experimenting with speeding that up by using DE in my filter and I think it helps, though I need to repeat a couple of more times to know for sure. This is at normal swg FC levels...going to shock level is not needed for me to precipitate.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Everytime I top of my pool I get a brown (usually) tint to my water.
    Is it confirmed to be iron?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Everytime I top of my pool I get a brown (usually) tint to my water.
    Is it confirmed to be iron?
    That is a good question.

It is not confirmed by direct testing of the pool water. When I originally filled my current pool (and the previous blow up ring pool), the water was clear. When I chlorinated, it tinted (very dark tinted, but still transparent with the first fill), then it took about 3 weeks of filtering to remove it.

What I do know is I fill with a well and it has iron (as evidenced by the stains in the tub and sinks). I should probably do a direct test on the water, but since it has always cleared up with filtering, so I haven't taken that step....yet...probably should for the sake of the science