Landscaping around pool

apayne

Jul 24, 2011
We installed our AGP last year and didn't landscape around the base. Currently grass and weeds are nicely filling in but I am concerned about having this stuff grow under the pool. I also noticed folks seem to have some sort of rock or bark fill around the edges which deters plant growth. Thanks.

First step-Round up mixed VERY heavy on the round up side. Spray and spray again!

Next rake and clear it all out-dirt and such. Don't go too deep though. Just so you can see the bottom track.

Buy the best weed block you can find. Put it down. Cover it with your chose of rock or what ever. I picked white marble rock. I did NOT go with mulch or anything organic due to NOT wanting to encourage bug or plants.

Make sure you have something that will hold it in.

Good luck!

Kim

"Next rake and clear it all out-dirt and such. Don't go too deep though. Just so you can see the bottom track."
Kimkats

Why do you say to not cover the bottom track? Our installer (last fall) had us cover up to the top of the bracket (about 3-4 inches) and then slope from pool. The more I read this forum the more I doubt we got a great install :hammer:

Thanks.

With our old pool we put the dirt over the bottom track so of course it got in the track and held moisture next to the side walls (metal of course). Our side wall stated rusting out in MANY areas :( That on top of not having a clue how to do a pool (HIGH CYA). The pool let go in a AWESOME fashion!

NOW we know better (THANKS TFP and BBB). We have resin bottom rails and only put the dirt to the rails making sure to NOT allow it to touch the side wall. We hand picked larger rocks to put around the rails (time consuming in the short run but should work out in the long run). We do have it sloped away from the pool.

This is all just MY opinion but with my facts to back up the way I did this pool. I guess you have to weigh your risks of water/rain washing out your pool from the bottom I guess. One thing I did was put stepping stones under the returns and skimmer for just in case there was a run over of leak of some sort.

This is another reason I love this site. So many people who are willing to help and share their ideas!

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the clarification. I was really wondering if was wise to put the dirt up to the side of the pool. I'm glad it will be easy to pull away - we have pure sandy dirt - we only get mud when it's poured for days or when the frost is leaving.

Lissa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.