first tests - what to do next?

Aug 26, 2012
Herndon, Va
Just received a new test kit and did all the measurements.

Water looks clear, doesn't smell of anything like Chlorine at is about 80deg F

FC - 7.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 50
CH - 160
CYA - 30
CC - 0

Seem like I have to had a LOT of chemicals. Seems like each on effects the other so where do I start i.e. what procedure would I use to add chemicals?

I have lots of different chemicals that I would like to use up before I start doing the BBB method, so for now I just want to do it the conventional way.

Raise the CYA either with plain stabilizer or any leftover pucks you may have. You also ought to raise the CH a little, using Calcium increaser or cal-hypo. Don't mix the different forms of dry chlorine if you use them. Add one, let it dissolve and mix, then use the other the next day.

silversteed said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have Aqua Chem 3" tablets plus, Trichlora -s- triazinetrione, is this okay to add? it says it softens the water is that what I want or just something that happens when adding Trichlor..?
Trichlor is acidic. So it will tend to hold pH flat or even push it lower, while TA will almost certainly go down a little, hence: softened.

silversteed said:
Does this increase the CYA? I'm assuming so, but just figured that you'd have to add Cyanouric Acid.
Yes, it does. If you look near the bottom of the pool calculator, you see Effects of Adding Chemicals. Assuming you entered the volume correctly, it can tell you how much CYA each 8 oz puck will add. So don't overdo it.

Think I might have messed up my first test. Here are the latest:

FC 3.5
pH 7.2
TA 50
CH 160
CYA 30
CC 0.5
TC 4.0

Pool calculator recommends:
26 oz of bleach or 1.8oz of Trichlor
25 oz of washing soda
293 oz of baking soda
370 oz of Calcium Chloride
33 oz of stabilizer

I have had 4 - 3" tablets of Trichlora-s-triazinetrione (84.6% available Chlorine) in the pool for the last 4 days.
Also, I cleaned all the surfaces of the pool. The walls were turning white and when I wiped them the white like powered came off them. I'm assuming this is the Calcium coming out of the plaster walls.

What's next?

Ifd the pool is not new, then it probably isn't calcium. Brush it off good and it probably won't return.

Next is to re-read Pool School. Learn what the acceptable ranges are for all your parameters. Rather than asking the poolcalculator to suggest the levels to you, you should be able to know what level you want to be and then use the calculator to figure the dosage.

BBB is all about gaining the knowledge to manage your own pool by understanding what the test results mean and what to do about them, if anything.

How does your water look?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was told by the pool inspector that it was calcium build up. It will not brush off, but if you take a towel to it it wipes up. I wiped the pool down and after that it was cloudy for about two days running the pump for 8 hours a day.

I do understand what the levels should be, I just don't know what should be taken care of first and what can be done at the same time.

Back to school:)

Actually, I forgot to look back up at your numbers....they look decent to me.

This late in the season, I would leave everything alone until swimming is over.

Your current numbers do not indicate calcium precipitation and if calcium precipitates out onto the walls as you describe, it is usually in the form of scale and WILL NOT come off short of an acid bath.

I'd wipe the walls down again, even if it clouds up the pool a little......I think that'll get rid of whatever it is.....not sure it was/is calcium, though.

The pool looks pretty good, but of course I would like better and would like a little bit of a buffer with the chemicals.

These are the levels and what I would think I should try to get them too:
FC 3.5 up over 4
pH 7.2 up to 7.5
TA 50 up over 100
CH 160 up over 250
CYA 30 probably good where it is
CC 0.5 probably time to shock

I was thinking I should shock tonight after we are done using. Then in the AM test again and take it from there. Once the FC is up I should probably add chemicals to increase the TA. Once everything is up then I should probably add Calcium Chloride to get the CH up.

What do you think?

What do you think?
Your call. Anything within the guidelines is fine and , except for your TA being a little low, you are in the guidelines. It is always good practice to get used to using the poolcalculator to get your dosages precise so it doesn't harm a thing.

I see no need to shock the pool but that's your call, too. .5CC is perfectly normal.

Test FC/CC again with 25ml sample if you are worried. Then you will get a CC result that is either under our over 0.5 (0.2 ppm increments). This is not necessary but if it gives you peace of mind...

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.