Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first tests - what to do next?

1. Back To Top    #1

first tests - what to do next?

Just received a new test kit and did all the measurements.

Water looks clear, doesn't smell of anything like Chlorine at is about 80deg F

FC - 7.5
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 50
    CH - 160
    CYA - 30
    CC - 0

Seem like I have to had a LOT of chemicals. Seems like each on effects the other so where do I start i.e. what procedure would I use to add chemicals?

I have lots of different chemicals that I would like to use up before I start doing the BBB method, so for now I just want to do it the conventional way.
    ____________________________________________________________ _____
    IG 25,000 gallon concrete painted pool,
    KDI American Products Model# 583090 Titan SS Vertical Grid 48sq ft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first tests - what to do next?

Raise the CYA either with plain stabilizer or any leftover pucks you may have. You also ought to raise the CH a little, using Calcium increaser or cal-hypo. Don't mix the different forms of dry chlorine if you use them. Add one, let it dissolve and mix, then use the other the next day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have Aqua Chem 3" tablets plus, Trichlora -s- triazinetrione, is this okay to add? it says it softens the water is that what I want or just something that happens when adding Trichlor..?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by silversteed
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have Aqua Chem 3" tablets plus, Trichlora -s- triazinetrione, is this okay to add? it says it softens the water is that what I want or just something that happens when adding Trichlor..?
    Trichlor is acidic. So it will tend to hold pH flat or even push it lower, while TA will almost certainly go down a little, hence: softened.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Does this increase the CYA? I'm assuming so, but just figured that you'd have to add Cyanouric Acid.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by silversteed
    Does this increase the CYA? I'm assuming so, but just figured that you'd have to add Cyanouric Acid.
    Yes, it does. If you look near the bottom of the pool calculator, you see Effects of Adding Chemicals. Assuming you entered the volume correctly, it can tell you how much CYA each 8 oz puck will add. So don't overdo it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Think I might have messed up my first test. Here are the latest:

FC 3.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 50
    CH 160
    CYA 30
    CC 0.5
    TC 4.0

Pool calculator recommends:
    26 oz of bleach or 1.8oz of Trichlor
    25 oz of washing soda
    293 oz of baking soda
    370 oz of Calcium Chloride
    33 oz of stabilizer

I have had 4 - 3" tablets of Trichlora-s-triazinetrione (84.6% available Chlorine) in the pool for the last 4 days.
    Also, I cleaned all the surfaces of the pool. The walls were turning white and when I wiped them the white like powered came off them. I'm assuming this is the Calcium coming out of the plaster walls.

What's next?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Is this a new pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

It is new to me. I believe the pool is probably 25 years old, but not even sure of that.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Ifd the pool is not new, then it probably isn't calcium. Brush it off good and it probably won't return.

Next is to re-read Pool School. Learn what the acceptable ranges are for all your parameters. Rather than asking the poolcalculator to suggest the levels to you, you should be able to know what level you want to be and then use the calculator to figure the dosage.

BBB is all about gaining the knowledge to manage your own pool by understanding what the test results mean and what to do about them, if anything.

How does your water look?
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

I was told by the pool inspector that it was calcium build up. It will not brush off, but if you take a towel to it it wipes up. I wiped the pool down and after that it was cloudy for about two days running the pump for 8 hours a day.

I do understand what the levels should be, I just don't know what should be taken care of first and what can be done at the same time.

Back to school

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Actually, I forgot to look back up at your numbers....they look decent to me.

This late in the season, I would leave everything alone until swimming is over.

Your current numbers do not indicate calcium precipitation and if calcium precipitates out onto the walls as you describe, it is usually in the form of scale and WILL NOT come off short of an acid bath.

I'd wipe the walls down again, even if it clouds up the pool a little......I think that'll get rid of whatever it is.....not sure it was/is calcium, though.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

The pool looks pretty good, but of course I would like better and would like a little bit of a buffer with the chemicals.

These are the levels and what I would think I should try to get them too:
    FC 3.5 up over 4
    pH 7.2 up to 7.5
    TA 50 up over 100
    CH 160 up over 250
    CYA 30 probably good where it is
    CC 0.5 probably time to shock

I was thinking I should shock tonight after we are done using. Then in the AM test again and take it from there. Once the FC is up I should probably add chemicals to increase the TA. Once everything is up then I should probably add Calcium Chloride to get the CH up.

What do you think?

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

What do you think?
    Your call. Anything within the guidelines is fine and , except for your TA being a little low, you are in the guidelines. It is always good practice to get used to using the poolcalculator to get your dosages precise so it doesn't harm a thing.

I see no need to shock the pool but that's your call, too. .5CC is perfectly normal.
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

I was thinking that .5CC was the dividing line. Think I'll just kick back and see what happens in the next week or so.

Thanks for the help.

16. Back To Top    #16

What type brush are you using on the pool?

I am curious because I have never wiped my plaster pool!

Also, if it was my pool, I'd do an OCLT to determine no organic issues lurking.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Test FC/CC again with 25ml sample if you are worried. Then you will get a CC result that is either under our over 0.5 (0.2 ppm increments). This is not necessary but if it gives you peace of mind...

-sent with Tapatalk 2
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump