Winterizing In Ground Pool

Greetings from Tennessee. This is our third year with a pool - last couple of years I have had "professionals" (use that term losely in my area) to close our pool. First year was no issue, but last year was a big issue. When I got ready to open the pool, a friend and I pulled the solid cover off only to find that the pool was 3/4 of the way drained. Now of course the company I paid to close swore they did not do this, however I am convinced they did.

Pool is 16 x 36 with one skimmer, three returns and two bottom drains. The biggest issue I have (and what has kept me from closing by myself to this point) is my filter and pump is located about 10 feet below the pool. I believe that the company last year started to drain the pool below the returns - went to lunch or something and got back only to find the pool almost drained - since it has a solid cover they simply put it on and called it good (at a 400 buck charge).

Pool has not lost water so I do not buy the "there must be a leak" retort by the company.

Anyhow, my question is this: Will a shop vac (6.75 hp) or an air compressor work to blow out the bottom drain knowing that the filter is below the water level or should I invest the money in a mighty vac? I have a shop vac and a small (not adequate) air compressor but I know the "professional" had a blower.

Thanks much
Tim

It's odd that your equipment is that far below an inground pool, but that can actually be an advantage. I would build adapters for the skimmer and each return out of pipe that would raise above the water line and just drain the lines back to the equipment. If you do that, your shop-vac will clear the lines. Another way would be to drain the pool to below the returns and then drain the lines.

If there's any way to plug them in the pool, I'd do that and then just let them drain them to the pad. Sinc your pool is above the equipmentjust opening them should allow them to drain out unless there's a loop in the piping.

I use an air compressor to blow out my bottom drain. I have built air compressor fitting that screws into the strainer basket drain hole at the pump. I just plug my air compressor into that and pump air through the line at about 20-30psi. Once air comes up through the main drain, I close that line. With your pump and equipment being that far below the pool I wonder if you had a slow siphon going on all winter through your equipment? It would take more then a lunch break to pump off that much water.

BadOleRoss:
Can you elaborate on the "built air compressor fittings" that fit into the strainer basket? I have both an old 6hp Sears shopvac (I'm hoping that will do the job) but I also have an 80 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor (about 100ft from the pool) and a little 5 gallon pancake compressor. I could use trial and error but any guesses which would work best?
Thanks!
-Bryan

Why are you worried about the bottom drain specifically if you have a pool in TN? I doubt it ever freezes that deep unless you are waaaaay up in the mountains. Or are you worried about the water in the line back to the pump?

bcobb said:
BadOleRoss:
Can you elaborate on the "built air compressor fittings" that fit into the strainer basket? I have both an old 6hp Sears shopvac (I'm hoping that will do the job) but I also have an 80 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor (about 100ft from the pool) and a little 5 gallon pancake compressor. I could use trial and error but any guesses which would work best?
Thanks!
-Bryan

Standard size quick connect, 3/8", I believe. Just plug the compressor hose on and hit it.

I have to use my compressor as well on my MD, since my shop-vac can't handle that. I usually hit it with 30-40 PSI for about 30 seconds, get it bubbling really good, then shut the valve fast, turn air off.

I don't think your pancake could keep up.

Thanks gkruske,
After I posted this I saw that standard hose fittings should screw right into the drain valves in the pump. And I'm sure you're right that my pancake couldn't keep up. I'll try my shop vac first...it's a beast and pushes a lot of air. If that doesn't work I'll break out the 150ft of compressor hose!
Bryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.